Owner/Occupant selling home with open permits

2 Replies

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

I have a situation where I purchase a house 6 month's ago for a family member,my daughter,to move into.I applied for and received permits to do construction repairs to the property.Since the house was purchased by me for a family member,I as the homeowner was able to pull the needed permits.I am not a licensed contractor.The permits were for scope of work/general repairs and minor electrical repairs.In my state of South Carolina if an owner pulls permits on second homes or investment properties,you are not allowed to sell or rent the property for two years.

Well do to unforeseen circumstances,illness in family,my daughter can not move in and I will need to list the house for sell.It will cause me some financial problems if I try to keep it.The majority of the repairs have been done but are not complete.I need to sell the house in unfinished as is condition.

My question is has anyone dealt with open permits when selling a property.The permits are with the County of Charleston and they have always had a hard nosed attitude about generating revenue.

I know the most obvious answer will be to call the building dept. and find out what to do,but just wanted to get a heads up before I do from anyone who may have had a similar experience.

Thank you....

Similar deal around here, though you generally can only pull permits if you're actually living there.

What are the penalties for selling before the two years have passed?

Most likely anyone who buys it is going to have to pull and pay for new permits to complete the work.

Depends on the area. My county would be pretty easy going, they'd just want you to cancel the existing permit.

I was going to demolish one so pulled the demo permit, decided to sell it as is so called them and they just had me cancel the demo permit, I think it was just a form, but if I paid them it was $50 or less. The new owner pulled his own permits on his stuff.

Im guessing that'll be how it goes if they haven't issued a CO. I'd imagine there's some sort of hardship clause in there somewhere too, as long as your intent was to keep it when you pulled the permits.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.