Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jim Perry
  • Folly Beach, SC
Votes |
Owner/Occupant selling home with open permits

Jim Perry
  • Folly Beach, SC
Posted Sep 3 2014, 14:14

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

I have a situation where I purchase a house 6 month's ago for a family member,my daughter,to move into.I applied for and received permits to do construction repairs to the property.Since the house was purchased by me for a family member,I as the homeowner was able to pull the needed permits.I am not a licensed contractor.The permits were for scope of work/general repairs and minor electrical repairs.In my state of South Carolina if an owner pulls permits on second homes or investment properties,you are not allowed to sell or rent the property for two years.

Well do to unforeseen circumstances,illness in family,my daughter can not move in and I will need to list the house for sell.It will cause me some financial problems if I try to keep it.The majority of the repairs have been done but are not complete.I need to sell the house in unfinished as is condition.

My question is has anyone dealt with open permits when selling a property.The permits are with the County of Charleston and they have always had a hard nosed attitude about generating revenue.

I know the most obvious answer will be to call the building dept. and find out what to do,but just wanted to get a heads up before I do from anyone who may have had a similar experience.

Thank you....

Loading replies...