Advice for a Newbie Project Manager

3 Replies

Just started out with a REI Co as a PM. Looking for some advice with handling subs. What is everyones feeling toward GC vs Subbing Out? The issue is that I can oversee the subs on several houses, but we have so many right now Im not sure I can handle them all. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Might be a good idea to start out friendly, but let them know what you expect and that you expect this project to run as smoothly as all the others. Make sure everyone has a list of all the subs and their contact information so that they can reach each other instead of putting you in the middle of everything. I would also plan to have things in writing. They don't like it, but you'll appreciate it once you have an issue and you can go back to what you signed, not what each of you thought you agreed to. Good luck.

Thank You very much. I really like the contractor list with contact info idea. That could really avoid a lot of headaches.

I guess it depends on the work, many times a GC will sub out the work to their set of preferred subcontractors, however they will do all of the work for you.  i say get as many bids as you possibly can from all services and from GCs and if a GC gives you a better price with doing it all than all the subs combined go for it.  Keep a sub list of all phone numbers names and contact.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.