Why Should I Not Run From This Deal?

4 Replies

I have a friend who is desperately trying to sell their house. The house is ok, about $7k for rehab costs. They owe $110k, but home comps for the area is running at $130k. I figure after closing cost I can pocket $10k. So why does my gut say leave it alone?

Seems awfully skinny. Not much room for "uh-oh" kinds of expenses one always seems to run across in rehabs. You also have to account for holding costs during the rehab (taxes, utilities, insurance, etc). Figure in for that and then if the house sells for even 10% lower than you expect and you're potentially looking at a net loss. That's probably why your instinct is to pass on it.

Thanks Jim, you just validated my gut instinct to pass. I think I can't get past my friend not wanting to go through a Realtor, to pocket the 10k for themselves. This is leading me to think possible larger issues with the home, like foundation.

I took those into consideration, $7800 for the 6% about 7k in concessions or rehab. Taxes are due in two weeks, I don't think we would close before then, so seller pays. Ohhhhh....wow, my math was way off. It's more like a 2k deal at best. Not worth the time or headache at this point.

House was built in 2006, according to the seller, nothing major needs repairs. But according to the tenant agreement they have in place they have to give 48 hour notice to show.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.