Short Sale

8 Replies

House was abandoned for 6 months and has a reverse mortgage $370K but FMV is around $220. For purpose of negotiating with lender:

1.  Should I get reports/estimates from both Inspector and GC?   

2. Should I leave it in as is condition, outgrown grass outside and a bit messy inside?

3. I have access to it, is it ok to sublease it while nego?  

Thanks.         

Wow...that's quite a spread in the numbers. Owe $370 with ARV of $220?? Estimates won't hurt but may or may not help...depends on the bank. I wouldn't do a thing to the property until you've closed on it. Too many things can go sideways and I'd hate to lose the money I've put into a property that ended up not closing.

Just my .02

Estimates are meaningless.  With a reserve mortgage there will have to be an appraisal done and it cannot be sold any amount lower than 95% of the appraised value or the full amount due on the mortgage (whichever is less).  

Are you the current owner?

@Patrick L.  

is right about RM's and 95% of current FHA appraisal. No negotiations.

I think the $370K owed is because of the way reverse mortgages are calculated.  I'm not the owner, it's in probate.  I really want to let someone live there in the meantime, is that an option? will the appraiser be entering the house?    

Probate short sale? 

Eee-yewwww!

@Ron K.  You don't own the house, so no you can't rent it.  Heirs rarely bother with a RM short sale, since there is no equity, and no liability to the heirs (no possible deficiency).

I love Short Sales. I have done 4 and they are my favorite. I use a realtor who specialized in short sales because the banks pay the commissions no matter what. So you don't save money AND having a great short sale broker for me is the maker or breaker. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.