Long Island Real Estate Market

4 Replies

I am a new investor living on Long Island, New York. My question is what do people think of the real estate market in Long Island? As a new investor I like the strategy of Buy and Hold investments but I am not clear as to if Long Island is a great place to invest in - I would like to invest here as its where I live. I don't see too much construction and/or population growth occurring here - which my understanding is are key factors to look out for in terms of buy and holds. Seeking guidance from experts as to if my assumptions are correct or not?

Cheers,

Mohit

Hello Mohit, 

I live on long Island, I don't think there are a lot of high yielding buy and holds in our area.   I am making offers on my first flips but even using the 70% rule is seems to be tough where I am looking.    I own buy and holds in Rochester NY and have found that once you grasp the skills of a out of town investor you can generate more cashflow elsewhere. 

I live on LI as well and have found that going the buy and hold route doesn't seem to work since the price of homes, and the taxes makes it somewhat difficult to cash flow. I also have invested in the Rochester NY market and have found that the numbers work pretty good up there.

Thanks guys for the advice. Its what I was looking for. Time to start looking elsewhere.

How about places nearby Long Island like queens and such? Same story?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here