• Gibsonia, PA
Votes |
Investor/Realtor Update-1.5 yrs later and My Dilemma

Jennifer Lee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Gibsonia, PA
Posted Nov 23 2014, 07:55

Hi BP

I have been meaning to come back to update you on my journey as investor/Realtor.

First off, thank you being the catalyst and helping me through this process. It was the best decision ever.

I grew up with RE investors, have a finance major, and have entrepreneurs for parents. I spend my weekend managing properties and listening to strategies growing up. 

I started in 2001 and did my first MADE-ALL-MY MISTAKE FLIP in 2003. Went on to buy/sell 3 commercial buildings, and flip 2+ Residential and managing buy/hold properties.

As an INVESTOR, I do my own extensive due diligence, and once I find a deal, I call a Realtor to "get" it, and we basically just CLOSE.  

As an INVESTOR, when I sell a property, it's in it's highest and best use and I have exit plans lined up. So my property sells pretty fast.

So when I found myself in the position to be able to buy 1 property a year or more. I decided that I needed to get my license!  And the fact that my REALTOR doesn't know  how to deal with me... she can't find me stuff! It was super frustrating.  

So I got my LICENSE! Sign up for course, took test.

I called all the brokerages and picked my firm.  I came into this WITH A FLIP TO SELL. So I went with the firm with the most MARKET PRESENCE and when I realized I have been using their site since 2001 in 3 different states..... no brainer right.

I sold my listing in 1 day! 

MY MAIN GOAL AS REALTOR: Find my own stuff, meanwhile, help other ppl find home.  

In my 1.5 yrs, I am now certified SFR (foreclosure) agent, and Commercial Agent.

My deal exposure has shot up exponentially.

PRO:

*As an investor, it wasn't difficult to meet other investors for client

*I am a good investor friendly realtor because like minds, you don't need to teach me

*Investor client buys multiple times.

*I get to see how other investor thinks and analysis without taking my own risks.

*I got FREE education on how to inspect a home, what to look for.

*I LOVE WHAT I DO...

CON:

*my commission SUX. I work with investor and here it means under 100K homes.

*60% of my deal fall through, and my SFR require a lot of attention and time.

*investor for clients, I have narrowed my clients to like minds.  There are low ballers just offering to get a hit.. and there are investors like me that did research not shoot in the dark.

DILEMMA: Why I write this blog..

I am have just opened yet another LLC for myself to do REI. And finding myself wanting to FSBO everything...

PLEASE ADVISE: Other investor/realtor in my shoe, who has license and buy own stuff... when do you use your brokerage and when do you fsbo?  My firm is not 100% commission on "my own deals"

It is 100% only if I buy in my name and only 2x a year. I buy via LLC.

I have not issues with disclosure, surprisingly well received as investor/realtor or landlord/agent.

My issue is like all investor, I want to cut out the middle man, but in this case...me!

Thanks 

Loading replies...