• Investor
  • Peachtree Corners, GA
Votes |
Buying at courthouse steps-Gwinnett County

Cal C.
  • Investor
  • Peachtree Corners, GA
Posted Nov 30 2014, 08:16

I'm looking for some advice on buying a property at the courthouse steps in Lawrenceville on Tuesday.  I'm also looking for some insight on how properties go on and off the auction list.   I also understand that I'm not likely going to be able to buy at a price I'm comfortable paying. 

Anyway here is the story;

I glanced at Auction.com a couple of days ago and much to my surprise my first flip was listed.  The house is probably worth at least $20K more than when I flipped it three years ago.  So it is unlikely they are underwater, unless they refinanced or got a 2d mortgage of some type. 

Additionally, it looks like someone or some entity paid the property tax which were due in Oct. Also, I believe the property went up for auction back in Jun. I'm not sure what happened and why it has taken five months for it to come back to the courthouse steps. The initial opening price which is obviously very low to draw in buyers is about half of the ARV.

The house was in very good condition when I sold it three years ago.  Fannie Mae had repainted and recarpeted in their standard beige paint and carpet.   I did add tile to one of the bathrooms and upgraded the kitchen appliances (those may be gone?).  I also painted an accent wall where the fireplace is.  

The house as I remember is larger than most houses in the neighborhood but it is a little weird in its design.  Thus probably negating the extra sq ft in terms of resale value.  

I plan to stop by the house tomorrow and check to see if anyone is still living there. Ask the neighbors what they know and go by the courthouse and see if there are any other liens recorded against the property. I will also have someone check the MLS to see if the property was listed for sale or for rent since 2011.

If I can pick up this house for less than 130% of the initial bid estimate, then I should be doing quite well with it.  I'm only bringing a cashier's check for that amount so, that will limit my ability to buy at too high of a price or get caught up in the auction.

Any other steps I should be taking?

Thanks!

Loading replies...