Disclosing use for HELOC on Primary

6 Replies

I noticed most applications for home equity lines ask you for the purpose of the loan. I currently have a pending application for my primary home which I currently own free and clear. I was honest with the bank by letting them know I plan on using the funds for real estate investing. So far the banker is saying they may not want to do the equity line because I am using it for other real estate. They would however be ok with me using it for home improvements or vacations, etc. My question is, do you have to disclose the purpose of the line of credit? Should I have just told them it was for home improvement?

My follow up question would be: why would a banker not want it used for another house? 

That is a good question. I will ask that if they deny my application. It's strange because Wells Fargo told me the same thing.

Originally posted by @Joshua D. :

My follow up question would be: why would a banker not want it used for another house? 

Because the banker wants you to place a mortgage for the investment property and still take out the HELoC for vacations ;-)

I tell them I'll be investing and they usually assume I'm putting it into my brokerage account.

I told mine I am buying a boat or a small condo without another loan.... I do want a boat one day. Ehhh plans change.

What's interesting is that I initially went to prequalify for a conventional loan for a single family investment. To my surprise the loan officer told me I would need a commercial loan and the best I could get was a 5 year ARM. Then it was actually her suggestion for me to consider taking a loan out on my primary home. Now, they aren't sure if they can make the deal because of what I want to use it for. It's a local bank and the person I spoke to was the branch manager but she didn't seem too knowledgeable about the loan process. I'm wondering if I try using a different bank and just tell them I'm using it for home improvements, would the call the loan if the found out somehow that I used it to purchase another property?

Just to follow-up, I found out today that the bank will not allow me to take out the loan solely because of my plan to use it to purchase real estate. So the application was denied. The loan officer couldn't give me a better explanation other than that it is their policy. I guess the best option is to not be so forthcoming with my plans to use it for RE purchases.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here