To central AC or not?

5 Replies

I'm renovating a SFH that I bought at auction for $10k. ARV is somewhere around $70k and the property needs roughly $25-$35k of work. I'm not sure if I want to hold it or flip it and I live in PA. That said, I'm not sure if I should put in central air. There is forced hot air in the house now, so the duct work is there. My friend is an HVAC tech and I could put central air in for about $2k-$2.5k.

Will I get my investment back if I rent it/flip it? Any recommendations based on experience would be appreciated.

Hi... I had a similar situation on a property I purchased in Delaware. I think that the investment of the central is worth return. I ended up keeping the property as a rental and asked a slightly higher rent because of the new central air... This was in a low income area and I think those types of investments aren't made in "low income" areas. That said, it set the property apart from others and of course tenants want those amenities that they perceive to be higher end. The return will also be seen when I go to resale .... My vote is DO IT!!!

@Kevin D.   Since the interior duct work is in place, changing out the a/c is probably the better way to go. Of course I'm in the south where the a/c is needed much more. Not sure how big of a deal it is up in MA. If doing window units and the wiring is not in place then, re-wiring for window units would be an extra expense.

No-brainer, put in the AC! you're way ahead of the game already in terms of the deal you have, you and your friend can do the work, the ductwork is already in place. It will increase the value of your property. Also keeps the humidity out of your home which is a great source of mold.

2K -2.5K is a good price for Central Air unit. I just had mine replaced in my house for 2.3K using a guy who is an independent contractor like your friend. 

We always do it, but the price quoted seems rather high.

We get our units from a supplier in Florida, tax free (as is shipping). 

This is one we recently installed in an 1100q ft SFH.

The only other 'parts' ($175) are the line set, electric whip & a base if needed & we get them locally. The install labor (including the Hi Eff furnace not shown) is $800.

Goodman 1.5 Ton 13 SEER Air Conditioner Condenser w/ R410A Refrigerant Model#: GSX130181 
$623.99

Goodman 1.5 to 2 Ton 17 1/2" Air Conditioner Evaporator Cased Coil Model#: CAPF1824B6
$197.89

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here