• Dyersburg, TN
Votes |
Buying my first property

Kyle Penland
  • Investor
  • Dyersburg, TN
Posted Jan 29 2015, 08:43

Hi everyone,

Thought I would throw this out and see what everyone thinks...  I have interest in a duplex, its been vacant for about 8-12 months, I can't tell and the owner won't tell me.  She got it quit claim deed 4 months ago.  Asking price is 46k.  I have spoken to a local PM who also happens to be my neighbor...I think he would steer me pretty straight and another Realtor and both think I can get 950-1000 per month in total rent.  It doesn't need any cosmetic rehab.  Insurance will be 550.00 and taxes 1453.00...I have figured that I will be making 80 bucks a door which is think is great for my first property (figuring 10% vacancy, 10% PM, and 10% maintenance, luckily for me I have great financing pre-approved due to good credit and a great relationship with the bank).  This property sold in 2000 for 60k.  Its in decent shape, but I don't have a clue as to the maintenance issues that will come up.  I wanted it for less than 46k to save for the potential busted pipes, water heater not working, hvac dead etc...  But she won't budge.  I offered 42 and she flat out said no.  Any advice you can give me?  Should I give her the 46 and ask for some closing costs?  Or a maintenance budget, or have her turn everything on and then inspect it?  Just wanted to see what your thoughts are...If everything is fine, then this is a SUPER deal, but just wanted to get others thoughts and experiences.

Loading replies...