comercial loan for SFH?

5 Replies

I was referred to the comercial dept for a cash out loan on my small 

SFH by a small town bank, because it is an investment.

Is that normal? I am not an LLC, just an individual.

should i pursue this bank or try another? thanks!

@Marci Stein  it depends on your current situation. Do you already have multiple investment properties? If so, you may no longer qualify for a conventional type loan. If your tax return income is low, or you have been self employed for less than 2 years then you might not fit in the box for a conventional loan. In those cases a commercial/portfolio loan might be your best option. Definitely shop multiple lenders/banks to see what they offer. Good luck!

@Marci Stein  

Have seen the same thing, some institutions are calling all investment properties commercial, and their residential dept. only handles owner occupied residential.

It depends on their rate and terms;  you may do better elsewhere.  It also depends on how many other mortgages you have and your credit score.  Shop around for the best deal that suits your situation.

I really only have 1 other home -both paid for, but totally just $150,00 together. Commercial is crazy ..but i will take what i can get. have to check their rates..

thanks everyone.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you