BiggerPockets Rental Property Calculator

3 Replies

I recently upgraded to use the Bigger Pockets Rental Property Calculator, Is there someone out there willing to look at what we have come up with. We’re Looking at a property asking 269k results; a negative cash flow of 1,218.31 with a purchase cap rat at .90%, so then did at 160k, Results’ neg cash flow of 342.83 at 3.76% cap rate WHAT!

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, maybe.

One more question; why would the vacancy rate in dollars be put in the expense column, I was under the impression Rent not received is money not earned not an expense.

Thanks

Mike

Can you post the details of the property? Vacancy is not truly an expense, but needs to be calculated in somewhere.

Vacancy needs accounted for when you calculate the yearly income. You make assumptions that you will rent the property at say $1000/mo for next 12 mo. When you get a vacancy that's 8%, it means 1 month less income in your yearly NOI calculations. So yes, you need to account for it. Also the side effect is a big vacancy rate will add more doubt of your ability to keep the property rented.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.