help with crafting a letter to an owner

4 Replies

Hi everyone,

There is a duplex, not a mile fom my house, that has been vacant for ten years. I looked up the tax records and have a name and an address. It looks like the taxes are a little behind. What kind of appeal would you make? I think there may be or may have been an estate involved. I think that the property was owned by an older gentleman who passed away in the last couple of years. I think that the son's name is the name on the tax website.  So....any toughts?  I'd love to hear your experience with these things.

I would suggest you leave it quite open in the letter. Go ahead and send a letter but be a little vague about any details you may have uncovered over time. You're letter could read something such as...

"Dear Mr Seller,

I'm a local investor in the area and I've noticed your property located at __________. It looks as though it may be a property I'd be interested in purchasing and I would love to have further discussion about the situation of the property.

I'm happy to work with people who are interested in selling and negotiating a fair price. I am able to close quickly and work with you in an effort to relieve you of any concerns you may have with the sale of your property. If you are considering selling I would love to hear from you. "

Also, check out the resources here. There are a number of templates that may be helpful for you. 

@Steven J.  thanks for the suggestions.  I did look at the files that can be downloaded here, but didn't see anything.  I was probably looking in the wrong place.  Do you think this should be done like one of the YL campaigns with a handwritten eye-catching style?

Shawn,

Steven's template above is pretty good. Below is one of the letters that I use for vacant houses. 

YL or not doesn't really matter IMO. How about a pink letter? They might think it's a past due bill and open it immediately. Don't over think it. Take action is more important.  :0)

Hi (first name),

I'm sending you this note because I would like to buy your house at ___________ if you're interested. 

I can pay-off what you owe and ensure you get some money out of the deal. Give me a call and we'll see if this would make sense for both of us. 

Thank you for your time. 

(Your name)

(Your cell number)

@Minh Le  LOL.  I guess I wasn't so much concerned with the actual color of the paper.  Since I don't always like to follow the trends of what everyone else is doing, I may decide to use a bright green if I go that route.  My question was more along the lines of: Should this look like a business letter or a personally written note?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here