NJ Sheriff Sales - 3 Questions

5 Replies

I have been attending a local sheriff sale for a few weeks now trying to make sense of what all is happening there but I really dont feel like Im making much headway.

Im hoping someone here familiar with the process can help me clarify a few things..

1. Why does the list I pull off the website immediately before I drive over to the auction never match the list the sheriff is using for the actual auction? Where can I get the actual list of what is up for auction each day?

2. Why are the Upsets listed online not the same as the ones the plaintiffs representative is using when bidding on behalf of the banks? Where do the upsets the plaintiffs representative is bidding with come from?

3. In some cases the sheriff has a property on their list that the plaintiffs representative does not. Why is that? How is it that even their lists dont agree?

3.A. In the case above there is a "No Response" entered into record. But in theory couldn't someone just bid the minimum and take that property? 

Medium dasilva group logoGabe D. MBA, MSREP, DaSilva Group Inc | 2014039993 | http://www.dasilvagroupinc.com/ | Podcast Guest on Show #258

Gabe, couple of thoughts. 

First, contact the sheriff conducting the sale. Ask your questions, if you need to go up there frequently and get to know the clerks. They will be more likely to help you if, they think they know you and like you. This is very important, because if you are just fly by night and not sure how interested you are in the process the clerk will treat you like someone that they know won't be back. 

Second, listings change daily. The facts are mortgages and taxes get paid. The biggest motivation most people get is the fear of losing their home. They will beg, steal, and even agree to pay exhortation fees to save their home.

Third, get the list from the auctioneer themselves. Third party lists are often inaccurate and may not be updated regularly. I know of a guy who does a subscription service to tax auctions in Texas and Louisiana, but only updates the listings every other month. (I can't stand him). On top of that, he doesn't even offer the entire states listenings ever.

Best of Luck

Originally posted by @Richard D. :

Gabe, couple of thoughts. 

First, contact the sheriff conducting the sale. Ask your questions, if you need to go up there frequently and get to know the clerks. They will be more likely to help you if, they think they know you and like you. This is very important, because if you are just fly by night and not sure how interested you are in the process the clerk will treat you like someone that they know won't be back. 

Second, listings change daily. The facts are mortgages and taxes get paid. The biggest motivation most people get is the fear of losing their home. They will beg, steal, and even agree to pay exhortation fees to save their home.

Third, get the list from the auctioneer themselves. Third party lists are often inaccurate and may not be updated regularly. I know of a guy who does a subscription service to tax auctions in Texas and Louisiana, but only updates the listings every other month. (I can't stand him). On top of that, he doesn't even offer the entire states listenings ever.

Best of Luck

He most likely does this because he may have buyers and cherry picks which are the best and the rest he leaves and not only that .... Considering the fact "investing " is trendy now most wanna be investors are to lazy to do the necessary steps  that is required to be successful 

You can't crawl if you haven't learn to sit up right......

@Christopher Rodriguez I do the steps above, to get the best information I can about what properties will be available. In Texas, the property can be removed from the sale; at any time, all the way up until the start of the sale.

I do "cherry pick" only the properties that meet my criteria for investment purposes. Why would I want to waste time researching a property that isn't going to fit in with my investment strategies? That's like saying a person who is very knowledgeable in wholesaling get into multi family unit hard money lending. It just not a good business model.  

By only searching for the properties that I want to invest in; I end up saving myself time and money. I do not consider what I do as trends; I consider what I do as an means to an ends. By knowing the right people in the right place at the right time; you do gain an advantage. 

I was talking with a sheriffs deputy about the upcoming sale. She informed me of documentation requirements being changed effective May 1st. I will be ready, while most will be forced to sit out; because they didn't maintain that working relationship.

@Richard D. but it's those very connections that make it crucial to your success versus other people and I will take your process as a model to consider while I find my groove to this

I believe once my financing is ready my traction in investing will move dramatically forward.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you