Building/Buying RV Park Houston / Galveston TX

5 Replies

My husband and I have been talking about building / buying an RV park for a few years now but just recently decided to really start looking into it. There are many parks here in Houston / Galveston areas and all are near full if not completely full. Most have waiting lists to get a month to month spot, so we are not worried about vacancy issues here. We are trying to decide if we should purchase an existing park or build our own. I personally would like to build our own. We could make it our own and also enables me to hire my own staff according to my own standards. We would have our own reputation to build, rather than take on a business that may already have a bad reputation and have the struggle of convincing prev customers with a bad experience that management has changed and therefor the experience of the park... exc... I frequently feel frustrated with today's level of "Customer Service" in MOST businesses.. I'm not sure I want to go through an employee "clear out" if I took over a place either... 

So with all that said, Im leaning towards building obviously. So does anyone have advice on this? How does the process work? Where do you even start for something like this? Lenders? Planning? City zoning? Utilities? Exc.... Time frame from start to finish?

Also, I have run across a property I already really like the location of. It says they have already spent over $100k on engineering and planning, exc... Says city has approved the park, just need building permits and to start building. Near Galveston, TX. Thinking of looking into this property to save time and frustration over the planning and engineering? Anyone know how long a process it usually is just for Engineering and planning on something like this?

Any advice or knowledge on this topic is welcome and appreciated. Thank You!

Jessica,  I'll be happy to walk you through the good, the bad and the Ugly on all things RV Parks in this area.  Be aware that zoning is pretty restrictive, most cities are doing everything they can to keep both Mobile Home and RV Parks so navigating the permitting process is a VERY time intensive process.  The parks are full b/c there is just not enough affordable housing and parks offer an alternative to apartments or other places that want long term leases.  The golden rule is still "location, location, location" but you are absolutely right about customer service.  People will stay longer if they like the management and pay more for a safe place even if it's off the beaten path.  Especially if it caters and allows pets.  I'll PM you with my contact info so we can schedule a talk soon.

I also have two large RV Parks for sale if you are interested in a turnkey property.  They are $2.2 mm but cash flow like crazy!

Hi Jessica,

I have a deal/lot similar to what you're describing. It is two lots side by side here in Houston. One with 1 1/2 acres and the other with 2 1/2 acres. The larger lot has a 2800 sq ft home on it fenced in and on the other side has a few connections to add trailers etc. Someone would need only need to add the rest of the connections (how many they want) to make it a full functioning trailer park. 

The smaller lot also has connection's but currently only 3 trailers sit on the property and a two story apartment building 2/2 downstairs and 1/1 upstairs with parking etc. 

Let's make a deal. It's a bit of both worlds...some existing lots and room to build. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks

Unless your bank account balance has at least two commas in it, your business plan sounds less like a profitable business venture and more like an ego trip to bankruptcy. Build your own park so you can hire your own staff and create your own reputation? That's what big, inexpensive, "Under New Management/Ownership" signs are for. There is no "employee clear out" like starting from scratch! Whose to say some of those existing employees aren't any good and it sounds like you'll need some people with experience to teach you the business. 

Look for a mismanaged park you can buy at a big discount and create your own, new customer base through inexpensive marketing. Change the name, add some landscaping, and start cleaning the place up. You can give perks to customers who write great reviews online, create a dynamic website showcasing your park's new and improved benefits and features, and market to the existing customer database to generate immediate income. If they had a previously bad experience and won't come back, so what! There's new customers entering the RV world every day. 

This idea sounds interesting. What all is involved in site development? I know that power/water hook ups are a must, but what about septic? Does each site have its own septic? IS anyone willing to share some basic numbers?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.