Subordination of Mortgage...

6 Replies

Hi all,

Can someone please provide a bit of clarification. I am doing my due diligence on a property that i am interested in making an offer on, but am a bit confused on the information provided.

Details:  Satisfaction of Mortgage .....11/9/11

Subordination of Mortgage....1/26/12

Not sure what this means. I thought you when you have a Satisfaction of Mortgage, you payed your mortgage off. 

Is the Subordination of Mortgage  a lien or second mortgage? and what does this mean?

Thanks to all in advance.

Subordination means if the borrower defaults, the subordinate lender will get the liquidated money after the lender above him. Lenders usually like to be on top of the list, because they have the first right to the property. And thus usually the subordinate lender charges higher rate because of higher risk.

You may go to your town or county to ask for details.

@Zach Liu ....thanks for your reply.

But  i am still confused as this seller does not have a mortgage or so the public records says.

Why is there a Subordination of Mortgage when there is no mortgage?

Am i missing something?

Just go into contact with the seller and get title insurance.  See what what the title report shows and go from there.

Good luck

@Charmaine M.

That's interesting, definitely ask the seller for explanation if you can not find information in public record.

Originally posted by @Charmaine M. :

@Zach Liu ....thanks for your reply.

But  i am still confused as this seller does not have a mortgage or so the public records says.

Why is there a Subordination of Mortgage when there is no mortgage?

Am i missing something?

Curious what you ever found out

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here