Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Kai R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
What Types of Neighborhood Demographic Trends & What Types of Homes Are Most Desirable to Homebuyers in Georgia?

Kai R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Mar 31 2015, 08:00

I'm currently putting together my acquisition strategy for properties in Georgia and being new to Georgia and the South in general, I'm hoping to get some insight into what's most popular here (and why), in an effort to narrow my wheelhouse down to a combination of what my preferences are and more importantly, what Georgia buyer preferences are in a home. So, without further ado:

1. Roof materials: I know in Phoenix, buyers like tile roofing best because they last 30 - 40 years in the dry desert climate and investors don't typically have to worry about factoring in repair costs for a home with tile roofing (if it's relatively new). What's the preference in Georgia? 

2. What are popular frame construction types in the area? I know wood frames are energy efficient, but let me know if there are other norms here. 

3. Exterior siding: what's most popular here in GA and why? 

4. How old are homes in the most desirable neighborhoods of GA? I'm looking for a target age range for the homes I acquire. I have a full-service construction company whose partners sit on my board, so we're ready and able to do major renovations at below market costs and therefore I'm not too worried about age, per se - but would ultimately like to capitalize on areas that are older but that are experiencing growth and gentrification. If anyone can share how old those homes are / what neighborhoods they're in, that'd be awesome.

5. Lastly, in terms of demographics, I've seen a lot of threads touching on demographics that are "ripe for growth" - can anyone elaborate further from a statistics standpoint on what types of trends to look for? Perhaps the answer to that question really applies to all states, not just Georgia, but please let me know. 

Sidenote: this website is really fantastic - it's a great way for me to gain multiple perspectives outside of my remodeling / renovation teams for some well-rounded knowledge. Thanks, all!

Loading replies...