Duplex Purchase

1 Reply

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this and have decided to buy my 2nd rental property a Duplex for $70k in upstate SC.

I am paying cash that i made on a prior flip, income is around $1150 per month, the property needs about $10-12k in repairs, taxes are around $2k per year, management fees @ 10%

Its a brick duplex 3/1.5 on one side and 2/1 on the other in a class B area..

Does this sound like a worthy deal??

Please help reassure me.  Cheers!

David,

There's a few numbers that are missing that really need to be considered if you want to know if it's a solid deal.  

For simplicity, I would suggest using the BP deal analysis tool unless you have something else built to help you understand what numbers you NEED to look at before you KNOW you have a good deal.

I will say that initially the numbers that you provided do have potential, but without the rest of the picture It's hard to say.  I would encourage you to track down the information and look at the numbers for yourself.  If you need help, ask!

Here are just a few of the other variables I consider when I look at a deal:

-Insurance costs

-Loan considerations (i.e. length, rate, and downpayment) - to figure your cost of money variable

-Will you get a secondary (hard money or otherwise) for repairs....at what rate? etc...etc...

Personally, my baseline comparison comes down to my cash on cash returns (or how much cash I make divided by how much cash I put down).  It helps me compare apples to apples given my personal operating assumptions.  

In my opinion, CAP rates and NOI are a great way to compare properties to each other you're when doing business with other investors, but Cash on Cash is a great way to see how one property will perform for your personal operating assumptions, compared to the next.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.