Company name

14 Replies

This isn't the most exciting topic but I sure would appreciate feedback.

I am starting a new company and need to register an LLC name. It's like everything has been taken.

The plan is essentially to hit the streets and find dilapidated properties and buy them with cash, then rehab. This is mainly a buy and hold plan but I will probably end up flipping some houses because the cash will run out at some stage. I'm calling it a property development company. 

I came up with Apex Zoom Property Development, Zeal Real Estate and Vivify Property as 3 possible names, which are not already taken. 

Vivify means to revive and revitalize, which is essentially what I'll be doing to properties.

Zeal describes my passion for real estate.

Apex of course mean top and zoom translates to 'fast, quickly'. So it's like reaching the top quickly.

I would be so grateful for feedback because I am stuck.

Skip the LLC. Operate as a sole proprietor for a while. Keep the name simple. Your tenants are your customers. They dont care what your name is. Banks want your financials and to know you have experience. They dont care what your name is. Flipping houses? The seller wants to know how much money you have. The buyer wants to know how much money you want. Neither cares who the check comes from or who to make it out to.

Originally posted by @Rob Beland :

Skip the LLC. Operate as a sole proprietor for a while. Keep the name simple. Your tenants are your customers. They dont care what your name is. Banks want your financials and to know you have experience. They dont care what your name is. Flipping houses? The seller wants to know how much money you have. The buyer wants to know how much money you want. Neither cares who the check comes from or who to make it out to.

Thank you. Not the answer I am looking for. I have my appropriate reasons for doing what I am doing.

@Nat Chan it depends. Have you built such a marketing machine behind your business where the name of your entity will make an impact in your market? Im talking about a solid presence in the streets, in your circles of influence, in your social medias, in real estate blogs, etc? Is this marketing machine today delivering the required flow of leads to secure the best delapilated properties in the area? If the answer is Yes, then I like "Vivify Properties" as it has a catchy name that could work for exactly its main purpose - referrals from your existing customer base. Now if the answer is No, then I will have to side with @Rob Beland  comments above. Why? Entity names same as websites, spreadsheets, databases, seminars, guru courses, etc are distractions from (as you said in your post) doing what matters "hitting the streets".  None of these distraction are going to make the register "ring". Im not sure if you are in the South Florida area. We are finding deals here. But if I let my inner stories distract me from keeping my "foot on the accelerator" finding motivated sellers the next guy will buy that delapilated property. It is PURE competition down here. No room for distractions or catchy entity names for me... All the best

You can always Do Business As (DBA). So, if your legal entity is Vivif or Elmer Fudd or whatever, you can DBA Nat King Cole Buys Houses. Ok, maybe not that name, but you get the point :-)

Sorry to be a downer, but YOU the person is what is important. I talk with lots of people everyday about their house. They rarely ask me what my company name is. They ask what MY name is and how I can help them. That is the important part. When talking with the owners of homes, it is more of a personal, face to face business. Lots of emotions, history, memories are involved where the seller wants a sympathetic person who can come in and help them out of their problem. When you are friendly, knowledgeable and ready to help, that is what is remembered. 

When marketing on a larger scale, yes you want to get the name out there. When you go across the state, or even across the country with marketing, you want a flashy name that everyone will remember.  But it is more for name recognition than for being catchy or cool. Microsoft, Coke, IBM, not "cool" names, but you know them because of the constant marketing and longevity of the company.

PS You can get a name, if you dont like it anymore, change it. Use a different entity to do your business. Close one down and start a new one.

Is it important to get leads from the Internet?  If so, find key words that are important to Google search and work backwards.  Think about the person who is going to bring you deals.  i.e. if you are farming homestead, something like Sell Your Homestead Home, llc.  Why?  Google will find this important and rank you accordingly...  not the prettiest name, but serves a purpose.  A name like Vivify will limit your SEO capacity.  

Is the purpose of forming a company asset protection and is there a reason for asset protection?  If that is one of the reasons for forming the entity, go for it.  Otherwise, I get what the others are saying.  It is too easy when you are on your own to spend a lot of time on items of minor consequence, eating in to the precious resource of time and taking away from time and energy that should be spent on items closer to the top of the priority list that will help you meet your goals.

Medium web logoEric Odum, Florida Investment Real Estate | 813.514.1070 | http://www.investfloridashow.com

After flipping a few hundred homes, I realized SELLERS WANT YOU. They dont care about your company name, how many people you have helped. They just want a result, from a person who answers and performs. I agree you should have a nice online presence, profiles, testimonials, a nice website with reviews, but essentially, I would market YOURSELF as the person who will help.

Nat Buys Houses is much better than We Buy Houses

If someone wants to do business with you, they will, regardless of the LLC name. In the same regard, no matter how important you think the business name is, your clients don't care. It sounds like you want a name that has meaning, and value to you, and we can't decide those for you anyway.

Pick something 1/2 way professional and move forward. There are better problems for you to spend your time on. 

Originally posted by @Michael Jobe :

I like Vivify. 

Michael, thanks for being the only person to help me out with an answer to my question.

OF COURSE I am the product and the business I'm promoting. However I can't just go around saying 'Hi, I'm Nat, save my number'.

I need to have business cards to hand out with my contact details. My business card has a big picture of my ugly head along with phone, email and a business name. 

Additionally I've not been able to get a loan as a foreign national, however my bank said they would loan me money if I started an LLC.

Originally posted by @Nat Chan :
Originally posted by @Michael Jobe:

I like Vivify. 

Michael, thanks for being the only person to help me out with an answer to my question.

OF COURSE I am the product and the business I'm promoting. However I can't just go around saying 'Hi, I'm Nat, save my number'.

I need to have business cards to hand out with my contact details. My business card has a big picture of my ugly head along with phone, email and a business name. 

Additionally I've not been able to get a loan as a foreign national, however my bank said they would loan me money if I started an LLC.

I was just about to comment on how everyone was completely ignoring your original question to give there opinion on something you didn't ask for... Looks like you took care of that for me.

Out of those three names I prefer Apex Zoom Property Development. Personally I hate Vivify... sounds like a new from of bedazzling. Indifferent about the third choice. Good luck choosing a name!

Nat, 

I

I like the name Vivify, If i am in ur position I would check these points 

Distinctive -our brand name should sound different and poses the identity of business and should be a "crowd puller" Descriptive-The name should describe your field/service of operation 

Each business name provides a unique and one or two descriptive words and when put together provides a visual, tangible business name.

• Jack Fruit Market
  • Expert fabric Design

these points are also useful in designing a logo for your business 

hope this helps

Regards

Emma

I created an LLC over a year ago but want to change its name. Does this mean I will have to reapply for all the lines of credit the LLC has already been issued?

Thank you

Medium professional grade company logoRich Hupper, Highland View Realty | [email protected] | 978 364 0240

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you