CALIFORNIAN'S how are you dealing with the drought?

11 Replies

As everyone knows, California is in a drought. Have any of you been affected yet by the drought, or have you made plans to change anything due to the drought? 

In Shasta County where we still own a house on 20 acres, they were notified that the water usage will be cut 25% from what was used last year. 

Here in southern California on the new houses, rather than the tropical landscaping that's prevalent I'm thinking we should do a more modern xeriscaping. 

How are you dealing with the drought? 

A program with LADWP recently reached out to the LA area and offered to install water efficient toilets for free. I just got them installed in my duplex property yesterday so i will know in a couple months how much money it saves me. I'm hoping this works out for me because water/sewer is my biggest expense here. 

Thank you,

Devin

Originally posted by @Devin E. :

A program with LADWP recently reached out to the LA area and offered to install water efficient toilets for free. I just got them installed in my duplex property yesterday so i will know in a couple months how much money it saves me. I'm hoping this works out for me because water/sewer is my biggest expense here. 

Thank you,

Devin

Do you have a contact number?

@Karen Margrave

We are in the Bay area and we see notices everyone about the drought and water conservation.  we have sent an email reminder to the tenants about this and we have to see if it will reduce the usage in anyway.

We will have a turnover in one of your units in May and we are planing to change the water fixtures throughout the unit  and toilets to low flow ones. We plan to do this  in the other three units also over the next year.

There's no drought up here LOL!  Poured down rain again yesterday.

planning on implementing RUBS in all my properties.  My conversations with other apartment owners is that it cut down utilities by 30% once tenants realized that they were accountable for their water bills.

For my personal residence i'm putting drought tolerant landscaping as well as rain barrels.

I am buying like crazy while people are still nervous about the drought! It will go away and prices will go up again. So I am trying to buy as much as I can now!

I added a water meter so that I can determine the individual tenants usage and informed the tenants that they will be paying for actual usage instead of a set fee. As @Jason Mak mentioned, tenants will use less water if they have to pay for it.

Our reservoirs are about as full as they were last year at this time.

@Terry Alexander

How much does it cost to add a water meter? I have a six plex in San Bernardino and we pay for water. I wonder how my partners and I could meter the individual units....

The  meter and fittings were about $240 and another $100 to have it installed. I now take a picture of the meter with my phone when I collect the rent and subtract it from the last picture to get the monthly water usage.

Personally won't be watering the front lawn all that much (again!) this year.  Will be on the lookout for free or low cost resources from my local water district.  There has been mumblings about a couple thousand dollars for xeriscaping; definitely interested in doing that.  Much more than that; isn't even going to have much of an impact.

Time for our agricultural industry to involve and in a major way.  I say lookout for the next big tech advancement in water usage for the Ag Industry to come in the next 24 months.  It's going to be a game changer.

@Devin E.  Prior to changing to the high efficiency toilets, were your toilets very old?  A lot of my units have updated toilets since we recently remodeled.  We purchased these toilets from Home Depot or HD Supply.  I'm under the impression that most 'newer' toilets installed within the last few years are already considered high efficiency.  Is that right?  Otherwise, it'd be a waste to change out all my toilets even though it is free.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.