Question about Selling my House.

1 Reply

I just put my house on the market 13 days ago. I have had about 5-6 appointments for people to see my home. It's generating a pretty healthy amount of traffic yet no offers are on the table yet. My agent believes that my floors which aren't perfectly level is keeping buyers from making offers. I'm selling the home "as-is" and I'm trying to avoid putting any more money into it. But I have nice hardwood floors in the unleveled area of the house. Is there a way to make it level without destroying my beautiful hardwood floors?

I spent a lot of time selling houses in downtown Baltimore - Canton, Federal Hill, Fells Point etc.  Those houses are 100+ years old and many of them have "charming" imperfections.  Now, I agree with your agent - a perfect home, nicely staged, freshly painted, landscaped sells a whole lot quicker than one with issues. (I can't comment on your floors because I haven't seen them).  I have found that condition and price go hand and hand. 

Look at what's available on the market in your area.  Then, pretend you are a buyer and see what you would you would offer for a house with imperfections versus what's on the market.  If you find yourself willing to knock $5,000 off to fix the floors - then consider your pricing strategy.  Good Luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.