Quiet Title Action Attorneys Needed

27 Replies

We are looking for quiet title attorneys in California, Nevada, Washington and Florida.  If you have a track record please let me know and email me at [email protected] with approximate cost of process.

I realize that some quiet title actions can be harder than others but I need a ballpark figure

Your website says you and your team know data.  I suggest looking at the court filings to see who does and doesn't have a track record in Quiet Title.  Are you talking Quiet Title post tax sale?  Or quiet title via adverse possession?  Or quiet title with color of title?

Kristine Marie Poe I'll bet you lunch they are not talking claim of right AP deals.

I don't know the OP, their company nor their services. There is definitely opportunity for a few competitors to get in the title clearing business, however.

Quiet Title post Tax Sale, Tax Deed in this case. Not sure how to check court filings for quiet title, have you done this and if so I would appreciate you telling me your method.  I will still need a list of some kind because some counties, Los Angeles County, CA as an example, do not provide access 

Quiet title post tax sale is sometimes over-rated and a waste of time and money. Really depends on value and plans for the property  In CA you can buy a special title policy for many properties post tax sale to tide over the one year.  Way cheaper than an quiet title.

Originally posted by @Rick H. :

@K. Marie Poe I'll bet you lunch they are not talking claim of right AP deals.

I don't know the OP, their company nor their services. There is definitely opportunity for a few competitors to get in the title clearing business, however.

What about a opportunity to create a new specialty title company, in order to compete with tax title services?  Wanna start a title company?

Yes. Tom C (Tom the homebuyer) and I talked about this once.

Tax Title Services is a bunch of FATCO guys.  Another specialty title company, there definitely is a market for right now for that.

Originally posted by @Dennis Lanni :

Tax Title Services is a bunch of FATCO guys.  Another specialty title company, there definitely is a market for right now for that.

I know the policies for TTS are written by FA, but I never really though about that connection before.  It's not really a specialty title insurance company at all, is it.  Just different marketing with a marked-up product.

Ok then, what are we waiting Dennis and Rick? 

From what I understand of the process, the key ingredient is getting a title company involved.  You do the leg work, package it and present it to a title company and they approve it for title insurance.  We have the ability to do the title piece but we do not have the title insurance connection or what they would require.  Sample Title Report

Still not sure what you are trying to do.  You don't need to do any leg work to obtain title insurance.  Title tells you whether or not they will insure and why or why not,  

Quiet title is a  court case when you sue everyone who may have in interest in order to "quiet" title.  In CA, title companies have a policy of waiting a year before they insure.  This is because there is a year (in the code) where a taxpayer has the right to challenge the sale if it was improperly held.  They don't get to redeem or overturn the sale because they forgot to pay or didn't receive it a bill.  They have to prove improper procedure by the tax collector (and tender all the funds). Not that many tax deeds props are sold improperly, hence why there is special title insurance already available for tax sale properties in CA.

@Kendall Bond  I looked at your site and watched and labored over the video that took 11 minutes to show me how to use the search function. 

Sounds like you are just trying to get your operation started. 

I sent contact info via your site, but no follow up by your team. 

No seasoned investor in this site is going to post names of effective attorneys publicly. You have three very experience titke people posting here, including Kristine Marie Poe and myself. 

Your street cred. is dropping pretty fast, IMHO. Are you trying to engage the BP community? If yes, the way to do that is to begin by helping others on this site, not just ask for info. 

In any event, when you are ready, I hope your launch us successful.

@Dennis Lanni @Rick H.  So no one wants to start a title company with me? I think my feelings are hurt.

Originally posted by @Rick H. and myself. 

Your street cred. is dropping pretty fast, IMHO. Are you trying to engage the BP community? If yes, the way to do that is to begin by helping others on this site, not just ask for info. 

In any event, when you are ready, I hope your launch us successful.

No one is going to post any attorney's name and fees when the OP can't even say what is they are trying to do.  First it was about quiet title. Then it's about title insurance. The OP isn't saying why and when he needs either.

That's often the trouble with data people.  They know how to organize and push around blocks of data but don't know how to interpret or use the data.  Tax deed sale title insurance and quiet title law suits aren't data blocks. 

@K. Marie Poe

I love the idea I just think it would get big fast & we would lose control, we would need some $$$ behind us.  I have always thought that a <150K small estate probate (DE-310 )  could be insured w/out a probate action, along with sheriff sales and post-tax sale properties.

The other issue is this idea sounds like the type of work the I suck at (employees, meetings, more meetings, ect...).  Really @Rick Harmon w/ his connections & experience would be perfect for this.

I thought the process goal was to get title insurance, quiet title moves you toward this goal.  I may be wrong but Tax Title Services does this process.  They do the leg work and provide the information to a title company (I think it is Stewart) and then Stewart underwrites and issues a title policy.  I am planning to put together a network of quiet title attorneys and companies nationwide for the sole purpose of getting around the redemption period on a Tax Deed.  I would love to provide the backbone as Tax Title Services does but they have a relationship with a title company that is not easy to build, and that is who puts the stamp of approval on their product.  I am not just a data guy, we have been in the mortgage industry for years with several products including the O&E report.  

@Dennis Lanni ,

To Make the @ work do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type the following: @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of list of names of people who have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has not posted in this thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, and type the @ and the first 4 letters of the first or last name.

Look below this Window, and click on your Colleague's name.

They will be notified via an email about your post in this thread.

Raymond

Originally posted by @Dennis Lanni :

@K. Marie Poe

I love the idea I just think it would get big fast & we would lose control, we would need some $$$ behind us.  I have always thought that a <150K small estate probate (DE-310 )  could be insured w/out a probate action, along with sheriff sales and post-tax sale properties.

The other issue is this idea sounds like the type of work the I suck at (employees, meetings, more meetings, ect...).  Really @Rick Harmon w/ his connections & experience would be perfect for this.

OK.  Good points.  While I don't exactly suck at managing employees, I do hate it.  And it's why I work for and by myself. Hmm.  Aren't we supposed to be smart enough to take advantage of a great idea, put up or find the capital, but not run the business?

OMG wouldn't it be fun if there were policies for properties that normally go affidavit or petition?  There's alway the county recorders to deal with though.  Their handbook won't allow them to transfer without a court order.  But maybe that could be changed....

I've had more conversations on this topic than most people would guess. In the mid '70's I knew a guy who was one if the major owners of TICOR. He had a Ferrari collection back before I knew what title insurance was. Come to think of it, another guy I knew from the Ferrari club very well was a probate attorney. I had to ask him what probate was, too.

Yeah, there's money in sitting out title problems. 

@Kendall Bond Social media is NOT this place to find attorneys to add to your network. I think I'm qualified to make that statement. Still no follow up to my contact request from your team.

Marie,

Although your post is extremely old, I just came across it. I am a real estate attorney in the State of Indiana that specializes, among other things, in quiet title litigation. You may have already started your company by now, and if so, I wish you the best. However, if your goal is to get around the redemption period on a tax title deed, I caution you as to any deceptive consumer practices.

Indiana is a property judgment state and has stringent consumer protection laws as to material misrepresentations, unconscionable and fraudulent acts. I may not understand what you are trying to accomplish so consumer protection laws may not be relevant.

Even though a title company may underwrite a title policy for a mere $1,000 face-value policy and issue a warranty deed, I can assure you that should there ever be a challenge in the chain of title, the $1,000 insurance policy will not cover attorney fees to defend against the litigation. Also, in most states, like Indiana, the "chain of title is not broken" with such subjective title policy. 

There are numerous reasons why a quiet title action is more appropriate than a $1,000 face-value title policy. The most important reason, the issuance of a court order. It is extremely difficult to challenge, and then overturn, a court order versus a $1,000 face-value title policy. 

Of course, every jurisdiction and its laws are different. I am only speaking as to the laws in the State of Indiana.

Best of luck. 

@Jynell Berkshire If using a mobile device, use the "@" symbol + "?" which will bring up a list of participants in a thread. Click on those use wish to tag.

QTA's in CA have played a very active role in resolving deputed claims. Given that I've been involved in well over a thousand of my own probate deals and gave needed to use QTA to clear title in dozens of these, I can tell you from experience that it's a long tedious and expensive process here. 

My state has a population of nearly 39,000,000 people of which more than half live in So Cal. Our courts are jammed. Despite having more than 200,000 active members of the Bar, the legal process is still expensive and lengthy. 

And then there's the loose-end detail of appeals at the state appellate level. 

I'm impressed that Indiana and other states create a better opportunity for this tool than CA.

Using QTA as an alternative to a major title insurer and provide marketable title makes no viable sense here in the west.

I just noticed the OP said he was looking to use quiet title actions "to get around/eliminate the redemption periods"......sounds like another "outside the box" idea that ignores the realities "inside the box".  Guessing this didn't get very far.

@Wayne Brooks   Life is much more convenient if you do not let reality get in the way.  Well... at least until it bites you in the butt.

If I purchase a Tax Deed, isn't the only reason I would seek quiet title (using a service like Tax Title Services)is to get around the redemption period.  We used their service in Washington and had a title policy after going through quiet title in about 3 months time which is much shorter than the 1 year redemption.  I thought this is what everyone did with regard to a Tax Deed purchase.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.