• Real Estate Investor
  • Springfield, IL
Votes |
advice on first investment and partners

Chad Kamerad
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Springfield, IL
Posted Apr 20 2015, 19:40

So a little background. I have always been fascinated with real estate. I had never thought it was something I could do. However after a few years of the wife and I working we have built up a nice nest egg. We have little debt, perfect credit, and make over 100k per year and that number is growing. Through sheer determination and will power we have both been successful. So after setting aside a chunk for a trip overseas we will have around 20k left for a down payment. After spending the last six months or so dedicating my free time to learning and absorbing as much as I can I feel ready to purchase our first rental. 

I made one offer on a great duplex with nearly perfect renters. Sadly the seller would not meet in the middle on price so I walked away. I feel that was a blessing, because now I have a place to ask the questions I need answers to. I was wondering if starting out I would be better off with a single family home rather than a fourplex. I would love the extra cashflow but is the learning curve worth it? It may be a matter of opinion but I would love to hear them.

Second question I have is about partners. I have had a couple people I know offer to partner with me on my second purchase. These people are not experienced investors either. The question I have is "am I better off getting to know other local investors in my area for partnership (should I want a partner)?" We are in a position to put a down payment on one new 90-140k property per year in our current situation. Is a partnership even worth concidering?

Sorry if I ramble, I am unfamiliar with using forums.

Loading replies...