• Montrose, CA
Votes |
re: Real estate license

Laurence Walsh-Hodson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Montrose, CA
Posted Jun 10 2015, 19:33

Hi Friends,

I'm new to real estate. I was thinking about getting my real estate license. Can you recommend anywhere fast and affordable? Is online as good as in person?

Thanks,

Laurence in Los Angeles

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Barton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 10 2015, 19:39
I cannot speak for your state or online, but I have to admit the relationships that I have developed with those in my class were amazing! Just being able to ask questions to one another, the teacher, plus the fellowship made the intensive 2 week class well worth it.
Barton Family Realty Logo
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 10 2015, 19:45

online is the easiest,most flexible and cost effective I have done both california and new york online 

https://www.realestateexpress.com/prelicense/ca/prelicense_info.asp?gclid=CjwKEAjwwN-rBRD-oMzT6aO_wGwSJABwEIkJlwqefarjovp7jusHlHnZOndikiup3Mg6LInuMQqEKxoCBI3w_wcB

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
JOAN DICKIE
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • La Crosse, WI
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • La Crosse, WI
Replied Jun 10 2015, 19:56

A real estate license implies further fees.  Do your due diligence before you take classes and talk with a few brokers to get an idea of how much it will cost you a year to make sure it makes financial sense for you too.

User Stats

Votes
Laurence Walsh-Hodson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Montrose, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Montrose, CA
Replied Jun 10 2015, 19:58
Originally posted by @Stephen Barton:
I cannot speak for your state or online, but I have to admit the relationships that I have developed with those in my class were amazing!

Hi Stephen, Thanks for this input. I was wondering where you did your intensive and if they have classes in Los Angeles? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
David Bruce
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Santa Monica, CA
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Santa Monica, CA
Replied Jun 10 2015, 20:44

UCLA has an extension program you can take night classes.  And, most of them are online as well.  Personally, I enjoy an environment in a classroom with the opp to network.  the online classes actually seemed harder, but everyone is different. (this was 10 years ago- might have changed a bit)

You might want to consider WHY do you want a RE license?  You want to represent buyers and sellers or are you more interested in doing your own deals?  Pros and cons with both.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Barton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 11 2015, 05:57

I used a company here in Indianapolis IN called RECP @Laurence Walsh-Hodson. I do not recommend doing a two week course unless you like being driven to your breaking point. It was extremely stressful and I feel that I did not retain as much knowledge. I had to go back and study items to really keep ideas planted firmly in my mind. I believe there are some statistics that talk about the learning habits of people that says that our brains only retain a certain amount of information over a given time. Then, inherently information gets lost. 

Basically, I feel that taking this course over two weeks did not give me enough time to really retain all of the information. You might find this to not be the case for you, but for me I had to go back and study. Another great point of getting your license is that you will have another income if you are an investor. I rely on having my license to help retail buyers find their next home, and this has been a great source of income for me! Sort of like not putting all your eggs in one basket. Having multiple income streams will only help push you closer to achieving your goals- in my opinion.

-Stephen Barton

Barton Family Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Evan Manship
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 11 2015, 06:08

In case you can't tell, EVERYONE has their own different opinion on their brokerage license. Mine happens to kindly disagree with @Stephen Barton.

From the second I pressed "place order" to the time I passed my test and was officially registered spanned 13 days. I did mine on the side while I worked my 9-5. Overall my first years fees including the online class, test, registration, and Indiana annual dues was approximately $2,000.

User Stats

Votes
Laurence Walsh-Hodson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Montrose, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Montrose, CA
Replied Jun 11 2015, 10:19
Originally posted by @Evan Manship:

In case you can't tell, EVERYONE has their own different opinion on their brokerage license. Mine happens to kindly disagree with @Stephen Barton.

From the second I pressed "place order" to the time I passed my test and was officially registered spanned 13 days. I did mine on the side while I worked my 9-5. Overall my first years fees including the online class, test, registration, and Indiana annual dues was approximately $2,000.

Hi Evan, Which online system did you use? Thanks! Laurence

User Stats

Votes
James Jackson
  • Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Jun 11 2015, 11:01

My wife took an online course over a period of a 8 weeks.  She was nervous about not passing the test, but in the end she nailed it. In fact when you take the test in CA they don't even give you your grade it's just pass or fail. So my advise would be study, take practice tests and when you feel like your ready take the test. If you don't pass...study some more then try again. But I am sure you will pass the first time just like my wife. 

We originally wanted to only use her RE lic. for our flip properties but...she is a natural and already has 3 sales in her first month.

-Jj

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Jun 11 2015, 11:21

@Laurence Walsh-Hodson, my classes took considerably more time. I did them online while I was a stay at home mom with young kids. If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure I would. It is expensive to get your license, and there are a lot of costs you might not think about.

I live in a super hot market, and I'm sure at least 50% of the residents of my town are real estate agents. Once the market picked up, they swarmed like flies. It is difficult to get listings or clients, so if your motivation is financial, you are going to have to hustle like there is no tomorrow.

You don't really need it to buy and sell, although having the access to the MLS is pretty awesome. If you can find a great investor-friendly agent, I would use them and see if they can meet your needs. Of course, those are hard to find, too! Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Shayna Nadeau
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Hills, CA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Hills, CA
Replied Jun 11 2015, 18:46

I took the RE Principles at a community college and RE Practice online. As far as electives, I already took while at a university. 

A good online prep course is Night Before the Exam. check out http://www.nightbeforetheexam.com/real-estate-exam/