• Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Tiny House - Mini-Cabin

Douglas Larson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Jul 24 2015, 13:22

There are only a few threads on Tiny houses here on BP like . There seems to be huge interest in small dwellings, minimalist living, and just creating small "retreats" in one's own backyard. Houzz.com and Pinterest have hundreds of posts on little homes and "she sheds."

I like BIG homes just fine, but I really like to invest in land too. That led me to other uses of property, including recreational tiny homes. After quite a bit of research I made an off-grid Tiny House / Mini-Cabin of my own, using a 10x12 ft. garden shed. I honestly can't say if the resale or rental of these will make for a good real estate business model. My first cabin is for family use but my next ones will be with a business focus (rentals and owner-financed sales). I just started cabin #2. I also chronicled the whole process of my first tiny house and wrote a short book. It is Free until Monday on AMAZON.com here.

Below are a couple pics of the project: The cost was $3,900 for the finished "cabin on wheels." The land and dirt work was about $16,000, for a total of about 20K. It took about 5 months for the whole process from shed purchase to cabin placement. It was just a fun, spare-time project. We will see if has business potential.

I hope @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turnerdon't mind my free book promo. If so, I apologize in advance and this post won't last long.  :-)

"Spacious" living room

Kitchen / Dining

Sleeping lofts

My lot looking west

My cabin on the bluff and my boys on "Our private beach."

Loading replies...