Deals in Denver?

Deals in Denver?

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey all, 

My name is Brian Watson and this is my first post to BP! I just moved to Denver from the Boston area and I'm in search of a 4-6 unit prop. that I will live in. Having been here for a few weeks already I'm feeling my optimism about being able to find a property that I can afford, and where the numbers work, here in Denver may have been short sighted.

I have a chunk of cash, from a previous sale, to put down on something but its not enough for what I'm looking for. I don't think I'll be able to get bank financing due to a lack of 1099 income but maybe if my down payment is big enough, who knows? My next line of thinking is owner-financing but I'm unsure as to where to even start.

My question: In a hot market like Denver, how does one buy investment property, strictly based on numbers (i.e- property paying for itself), when sellers are routinely getting 40-50k over asking? Are there still deals to be had on the MLS, or is creativity the name of the game?

Thanks

Brian W. 

0Reply
13 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    HI Brian,

    Welcome to both the Denver area and Bigger Pockets. 

    Consider coming to our local meetups.  Just do a search in the upper right hand corner of the site for Denver meetup and you should get hits for the meetings.

    It's a competitive market here to be sure, but there are still deals to be had.  I would talk to a couple of mortgage brokers now and see what your limitations might be.  If you're finding that you won't be able to get into what you want, you can then start looking into something with owner financing or perhaps adjust your plans accordingly.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 34 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Brian Watson, make sure to check out the podcasts, one of them will have the answers you're looking for.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks Linda, 

    I will most definitely attend some Meetups in Denver. Im excited to meet other people doing the same as me.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Cheers Chris, 

    glad to be here!

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    There is 1 owner carry in the MLS that I found with a quick search. It is a 3 unit for $300k. OC laws have changed, and you will need to speak with an attorney to set it up correctly. You can find them on craigslist sometimes, but more often than not, they are lead generation ads for people.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.