Fridge

2 Replies

Quick fridge question to throw out there.

I have around 2 weeks until closing on a short sale, and the real estate agent just informed me that her clients fridge broke. Yes it was part of the contract, but she has no money to replace it. My suggestion of substituting it with the washing machine which was not included in the sale was nixed that the seller needs it and "this is just part of short sale downsides." 

Is there any other way to negotiate over here or should I just take the loss and go to closing?

Thanks! (as always I really appreciate everyone and the time you all take to answer!)

@Mark Cohen

Assuming that you got a great deal with the short sale, I'd wouldn't let it kill the deal. However, with that said, I would try to get something for the fridge as a reduction or something else as a bargaining chip. But in the final analysis, investors should expect small things to go wrong.

I'd just forget about it close anyway.  The seller likely doesn't have a bunch of extra money laying around to replace the fridge or they probably wouldn't be doing a shortsale in the first place.  It sounds like all you really stand to lose is a fridge that was on its last leg anyway.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.