Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Rain
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Homepath = fraud? Offer shown as accepted yet asked to resubmit?

Kevin Rain
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Sep 1 2015, 10:15

We're trying to buy a Homepath home and it's been a little rough. We would be owner occupants, first time home buyers with 20% down. We made an offer the first day the property was listed, and during the "first look" period. We offered 97% of asking price with 3% towards closing after taking their first time home buyer course (which offers the 3% towards closing if you pass).  Listing agent responds that they will not offer 3% towards closing and will sell for 100% of listing price. We accepted this offer and it was shown as such on the homepath website. The listing agent comes back later and stated that the listing will be going into a multiple offer round and that we need to resubmit our highest and best (after we already accepted the 100% offer).

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? This seems like extortion of some sort. Any recourse?

User Stats

Votes
Tony Gunter
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Replied Dec 17 2015, 13:46

You can have the same thing happen on any REO, and it's more likely in a hot market. HUD and Homepath seem to take it to a new level though.

The way I have always known the process is:

Make an offer
Offer finally accepted after any back and forth
Buyer signs the accepted offer
Seller signs accepted offer

**Now you have a solid sales contract

User Stats

Votes
Jaclyn Franceschini
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Dec 17 2015, 17:02
Originally posted by @Jacques Wurms:

We placed an offer received an counter offer from Fannie Mae and then they rejected their own counter offer. I was very upset and my broker told me go sue the government and good luck with that :)

I think you need a different broker.  Next time you need a buyer's agent, let me help you handle it.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jaclyn Franceschini
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Dec 17 2015, 17:06

The end result:  I received my contract today for the original acceptance price, and we are proceeding with escrow deposit and closing.  

The sales manager looked into my offer and stated "the asset manager that originally approved it became sick, and the one who took over didn't see the notes and began the counter-offer process all over again."  One she saw the original agreement, she approved it and expedited the process.

Throughout the whole thing, I always countered with exactly the same purchase price Fannie Mae counter-offered and I accepted a week ago.  Stick to your guns and good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth J Humphrey
  • clinical application analyst
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • clinical application analyst
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Dec 18 2015, 04:34
Originally posted by @Jaclyn Franceschini:

The end result:  I received my contract today for the original acceptance price, and we are proceeding with escrow deposit and closing.  

The sales manager looked into my offer and stated "the asset manager that originally approved it became sick, and the one who took over didn't see the notes and began the counter-offer process all over again."  One she saw the original agreement, she approved it and expedited the process.

Throughout the whole thing, I always countered with exactly the same purchase price Fannie Mae counter-offered and I accepted a week ago.  Stick to your guns and good luck!

It seems there are too many people involved and no one communicates to each other. Glad you finally got it all sorted out. I am still waiting to hear whether our offer was accepted or not. Being the squeaky wheel is the only thing that gets some action.