Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Kiesling
  • Pacifica, CA
Votes |
How to not be throwing away so much rent money?

David Kiesling
  • Pacifica, CA
Posted Feb 1 2016, 18:55

I'm totally new to this, so bear with me if I'm using terms wrong.

Right now I'm looking into ways to not be throwing away $2000/mo rent and still be able to live in the area. Home values around here are skyrocketing, I've heard people are swooping in paying 20% over listed prices with cash.

I have very little savings, and my business income fluctuates, so I can realistically only invest like 1% as a down payment. 

Is working out a lease option my best bet? I can't come up with a 3% lease option down payment for a $500k house, and I think a $500k deal would probably be bare minimum of what kind of house I would want around here, as far as I can tell.

Any other ideas? I don't need a great deal, just a less bad deal than renting for $2000/mo, if I'm going to stay in the area. Maybe there's just no way for me to afford it right now?

I was thinking about getting into real estate investing somehow, I've been reading the book Secrets of Buying and Selling Real Estate, but it's gotten me really down on the idea. I thought I could do it before, but after reading tthat book it seems like you really have to love negotiating and networking in order to meet enough people and strike deals, and that kind of thing would be a nightmare to me. But it did wake me up to how renting is such a horrible deal.

Loading replies...