Financing a $60k Property...literally the WORST!

Financing a $60k Property...literally the WORST!

Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes

I'm not sure if anyone of you high rollers have run into this problem, but getting a mortgage on a $60k rental property is brutal!  Investment properties usually require AT LEAST 20% down so that makes my loan $48k, and many require 25% which puts it at $45k.  Most banks won't touch anything under $100k, and even the ones who do have a floor of $50k for their loan amount. Naturally, I've contacted several Credit Unions and even a lot of them cap it at $50k and I've only been able to find 1 or two that will do less, but the rates leave much to be desired.  

The house is a 3 bed 2 bath half duplex, selling for $60k and can rent as-is for $900 easily and up to $1100 with about $10k in repairs.  All in, I'd be looking at ~$350 a month of cash flow if I could get a solid 30 year mortgage on a $48k loan, unfortunately, that's easier said than done. 

I was wondering if any of you guys had advise for a newbie like me in this situation (having only $20k to invest with really limits my options on this one).  I'm in the Dallas area, so if you know any good local banks or credit unions, I'd certainly appreciate that too. 

Seems like this price range is a cash-buyers market unfortunately.  

3Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y

@Kelton Johnson   here's something creative.

simply pay 2k more for it so you can get the loan you want.. only affect your cash flow by 10 bucks maybe... and you get the deal instead of missing it... seems logical to me.

these rates are not going to be around a lot longer so why quibble over 2k when you will make that up in the first year in cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Take the mortgage you can get at a small community bank or Credit Union...maybe a 15 year (yes, higher payment but also lower interest and LOT's of savings)...ride with that for 5 to 7 years and then if you need to or want to look at other options.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Charlie Fitzgerald

    Yeah the best I heard was 20% down  @ 3.375% for a 15 year term, 3k closing costs, and no escrow.  Do you like that better than 20-25% down @ 4.25-4.5% for a 30 year term? It eats away about $100 in cashflow but still leaves me around $200 or so a month and obviously helps a ton with equity. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    Pull a home equity loan on your personal home , pay in cash ,  then take your time to finance the house

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Paul

    If only I owned a primary residence...this will be my first home purchase of any kind.  Looking to jump in with a great deal (but it's a lot more difficult to find homes in the area I want to live that cashflow).

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I like the 15 year deal a lot better.  I also do not recommend pulling HELOCs on personal property to buy business purpose rentals real estate and if you tell the banks you are doing that, they don't either.  Keep your personal assets separate. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Charlie Fitzgerald

    Even if this area is unlikely to appreciate much?  I'm just afraid I'll be losing out on cashflow to equity (which isn't a bad thing) but I'm nervous it will be hard to pull out the equity in the future without having to sell...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Kelton Johnson   here's something creative.

    simply pay 2k more for it so you can get the loan you want.. only affect your cash flow by 10 bucks maybe... and you get the deal instead of missing it... seems logical to me.

    these rates are not going to be around a lot longer so why quibble over 2k when you will make that up in the first year in cash flow.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Kelton Johnson - google search "poorest zip code in Texas" and find out what loan originator (person, not institution) is going those mortgages. That's your gal/guy.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Touche.  The property already has multiple offers and I'd only need to put down $62500 to get to a $50k loan.  Trust me, I've considered it and even asked several credit unions about their rates for that price.  However, they are still about the same as the 1 credit union that is willing to give it to me at $60k (just waiting to see if they can get the application pushed through).  If not, that's probably my best bet to actually land the house before they accept another offer.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Kelton,

    $60k might be an easy crowdfunding project. You could probably put 10% down and have investors fund the rest.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Kelton Johnson  good luck with it.  !!!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    John Champagne I'm sure it could! Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to pull that together before the seller accepts another offer. Jay Hinrichs Thanks so much! Means a lot coming from a bigger pockets legend like yourself!
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    There are lenders out there that will do minimum $25k loans ... you just have to look.  I bought a property for $39,900 and got a loan for it.  Put down 15% which made my loan $33,915.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Kelton Johnson  I think I am only a legend in my own mind.. and look up to by my grandkids... that's about it !!!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Dawn Anastasi You're absolutely right, I made about 8 calls to different lenders today, but they either didn't offer it, or it was only 15 year terms. One option I had almost forgot was a bank who had 15% down (9k down, 51k loan) @ 5% (dirty I know). But still could be a solid option as it would cash flow well even at that ugly interest rate, and require the least down.
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    @Kelton Johnson, yes 5% sounds bad but what is 5% of 50k a year compare to your cash flow?

    If your cash flow cannot be twice of the mortgage payment, then I question whether this is a good deal. 

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y
    Kelton Johnson , unless this is an owner occupied property, 5% is not bad. Another option and slight variation to what Jay Hinrichs mentioned - offer $63k and ask for a $3k sellers assist. Or ask the seller to finance all or part of it by showing them how much more a 5% interest over 3-5yrs will add to their sale price. Or try a sub-to and refinance in a year if you can improve the value and have the property appraise for higher.
  • Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2012 · 588 posts · 224 votes
    10y
    Your in Dallas, finding a portfolio lender for your needs is not hard. Drive down 635 and call ever multi story bank that's not a big bank like bank one etc.
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Percy N. I like the idea of a sellers assist quite a bit, is there something about them I should know? And you're right 5% isn't bad, but that 4.25% is just sexier I guess. Shawn Thom Unfortunately I haven't had time to do that with a full-time job and this being my first investment property, but I'm sure you're right. Food for thought.
  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 390 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kelton Johnson:

    Dawn Anastasi

    You're absolutely right, I made about 8 calls to different lenders today, but they either didn't offer it, or it was only 15 year terms.

    One option I had almost forgot was a bank who had 15% down (9k down, 51k loan) @ 5% (dirty I know). But still could be a solid option as it would cash flow well even at that ugly interest rate, and require the least down.

     Hi All-

    I noticed the note about the 5% interest rate, I have to say, fairly cheap for an investor loan with only 15% down, I would be interested int his contact myself/resource. I do not play in the price arena you are in, I have evolved over the years to the $100k turnkey range, but certainly would encourage you to consider those loan terms. The advice, is based on a series of assumptions, as I am not familiar with your financials. But, bottom line, 5% not that expensive, not that ugly - using someone else's money to leverage comes at a price. What is the final ARV value of this home ?

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 390 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Kelton Johnson   here's something creative.

    simply pay 2k more for it so you can get the loan you want.. only affect your cash flow by 10 bucks maybe... and you get the deal instead of missing it... seems logical to me.

    these rates are not going to be around a lot longer so why quibble over 2k when you will make that up in the first year in cash flow.

     Very creative!!!!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Steven Gesis

    I've been looking at this as mostly a cashflow play, so I haven't looked at too many comps. But based on my very loose estimates, I would say it could go for $70k with $2.5k in repairs, and upwards of $80k with $5-10k in remodel. It would be great if I could do the BRRR tactic on this one!

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    10y

    Could you offer more and have the seller pay closing costs?

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Often the 15 year loans are not resold to Fannie May, or Freddie Mac, so it might not count as one of your personal loans for your maximum amount of loans.  The 5% interest rate is about what I am paying now for commercial loans.

  • Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    If you're not doing this already, when a potential lender declines due to the low loan amount, ask them if they know anyone who might make that sort of loan. Don't just say "thanks" and hang up. I recently did something similar and spoke to over 15 institutions before being referred to a bank that would make the loan. 

    Sounds like time is of the essence, so you may want to have someone else help make the calls while you're working. Texas is a big state. Lots of options. If they get a hold of a lender who will consider the deal, they can send you that lender's contact info. Just a thought.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.