Added Unit 3 and 4 to my rental portfolio!

Added Unit 3 and 4 to my rental portfolio!

Investor · Canton, MI · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 32 votes

Last week I closed on my second rental property, a duplex in Canton MI!! It feels like a huge mile stone in my REI career as this is the first property I bought as a pure investment. –The first rental was a duplex where we lived in one side…

As some have probably experienced, the market is very hot in my area. I spent over a year making offers on properties with a realtor with no success. It was not until I tried direct mail marketing to where I finally landed a deal. (I will be honest, it was very awkward fielding phone calls at first but I’m glad I did!).

It was a no frills deal… The seller was an older couple that just wanted to “retire” from the land lording game (they were super nice and easy to work with). We negotiated a price that would work for both of us. Some items came up in the inspection in which the seller took care of before closing (about 5k in electrical and roofing issues). There are great tenants in place (Rent is a bit lower than market but they take good care of the place, do yard maintenance, have great payment records, etc.). –all in all, a good experience with no surprises!

It was a strange feeling after we closed… “so now what” my wife asked, “uhh nothing, we just pick up the checks on the first”

One thing I would share about my REI experiences so far is, don't be afraid to go outside the typical RE agent transactions. I did a lot of "Driving for Dollars" to build a mailing list and I am still sending mail. –I actually have another property in contract from this. (see my last post for details on this. It has structural issues so I might assign or walk away).. I definitely recommend starting sooner rather than later with direct mail. –if for nothing else, you get experience talking with sellers.

3Reply
37 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Tooele, UT · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Congratulations on the new property!  Everyone I talk to always tells me that a mailing campaign is one of the best ways to generate leads, so I recently started one as well.  My postcards are being printed and should be shipping out next week.  I also have a list I gathered while driving for dollars that I will be sending out letters to next week.  

  • Investor · Crawfordville, FL · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Can you provide some insight on what a postcard/parcel may say?  Also, how do you know who to mail them to?

  • Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I wonder as well what the best method is to build a mailing list. Any insight would be appreciated.

    Congrats on units 3 and 4!!

  • Investor · Canton, MI · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    @Timothy Colman The content of the letters depended on the property and they were specific to my area (I hand wrote a lot of them). I would say something like I own a rental property near by I am looking to buy another. Let me know if you are looking to sell. -very simple stuff, i just tried to sound like a real person. I send out maybe 30 a month so nothing huge. At this point I keep things very niche.

  • Investor · Canton, MI · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    @Chad Rider as far as the mailing list.. Every now and then when my kids are overly fussy, I will pack em up and go for a drive... I'll drive neighborhoods around my area. I jot down the addresses of any property that look distressed or if they interest me in anyway. 

  • Investor · Canton, MI · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    You can always go on a site like listsource.com and buy a list. I am not the best person to talk to about this... I tried it once. I bought a list for about $100. I thought i filtered for only single family but 90%  were condos. I was refunded and have not tried ever since.

  • Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    That's awesome Joe! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

  • Chris JacksonPro Member
    Investor · Southold, NY · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    @Joe Doman  - Congrats!, keep pushing.  One step in front of the other

  • Plymouth, MI · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Joe Doman congrats on your success! very motivating story. I am new investor just a little north of you in Plymouth. I am still trying to learning the ropes by analyzing deals before jumping into the real thing and purchasing my first investment property.

  • Plymouth, MI · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Joe Doman congratulations! Canton is a great area. I grew up in Plymouth so I'm very familiar. I too am looking for my first deal. Great idea using direct mail.
  • Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Well done sir. I am another Cantonite that's been researching doing a direct mail campaign to find my first deal. I was thinking about combining driving for dollars and purchasing a list online. Good to hear it can be done. Hey, I would love to see the numbers on the deal if you wouldn't mind to test my knowledge and see what a real deal looks like. @Timothy Colman - I personally know nothing but if you search the forums for direct mail (I usually google direct mail bigger pockets) there is a ton of info on what to do.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.