• Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Votes |
Clarksville, Tn

Daniel Highsmith
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Posted Aug 23 2016, 15:17
I've been looking for multi-family housing in Middle TN and haven't had much luck finding a good deal. I noticed that Clarksville, TN had a lot of multi-family apartments for sale. Anyone invest in this area? I know Fort Campbell and Austin Peay are in the area so I assume the renters are there. Any advice on areas to look at and start analyzing deals? Or maybe stay away from that market and find something else? Thanks, BP!

User Stats

Votes
John Montgomery
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Aug 23 2016, 18:09

Hey Daniel, I invest in Clarksville and agree that the renters are there.  One problem I've noticed is that many of the MFs that come up for sale are in very poor condition.  Additionally, like in many towns, one or two blocks can mean the difference between 'B' and 'D' tenants.  I think Clarksville can be a complicated area for new investors.  That said, there are deals to be found and money to be made.  Best of luck.  Let me know if I can help.  

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Highsmith
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Replied Aug 24 2016, 17:41

@John Montgomery

I noticed a lot of complexes for sale and that the rents were in the $450-$550 range. I assume that is a 'D' property, which i don't want. Any certain areas to focus on? Near Austin Peay, maybe? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Montgomery
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Aug 24 2016, 18:15

I've noticed many MFs near APSU fall into two general categories: fairly new construction and older SFs that have been converted.  Again, the exact area is critical, especially right around campus.  Several MF projects have recently been built with rents ranging from $800-$1200.  The downtown area of Clarksville is seeing some new development.  

User Stats

Votes
Greg H.
  • Broker/Flipper
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Broker/Flipper
  • Austin, TX
ModeratorReplied Aug 24 2016, 19:20

I have nothing to add to the thread except one of my favorite basketball cheers of all time is although I was a toddler Austin Peay had an All-American player named James Fly and their cheer was

Fly is open...Let's go Peay

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Hein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Aug 25 2016, 12:20

I was just searching MF and there are some available close to Ft. Campbell also newer ones on Peachers Mill rd.  Lots of renters all over here. Soon to be near exit 8 area. Hankook tires is building a huge plant out there and supposed to bring something like 1800 jobs. 

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Highsmith
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Replied Aug 28 2016, 15:01

@Jesse Hein

Thanks for the heads up on Hankook Tires. Expanding 1800 jobs is huge!

User Stats

Votes
John Montgomery
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Aug 31 2016, 05:58

true about Hankook - I live off the same exit.  There's a great deal of development going on within a mile or so of the plant - both SF & MF residential as well as commercial closer to the hospital & exit 4.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Hein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Aug 31 2016, 11:50

Yea the hospital area is really getting bigger. Across the street from the hospital they are expanding and building more condos in Governors Crossing. 

User Stats

Votes
Ron Dayley
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Nov 22 2016, 09:28

I am a realtor in Clarksville TN and I know the area pretty well.  I would be happy to help you look for property.  

User Stats

Votes
Ron Dayley
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Nov 22 2016, 09:30

Hankook Tires is going to be a big deal in Clarksville.  The transition team they are sending in from Korea are looking to rent ( I believe they will be heading back to Korea once things are up and running ).  

User Stats

Votes
Joon Lee
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Nov 19 2017, 14:30

@Jon Montgomery, @Ron Dayley, and @Jesse Hein

If you can, could you give me more information about Calrksville market? I heard one more Korean company (LG House Appliance) will build a plant in there and hire hundreds of employees like Hankook Tire. 

I am very interested about this market. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Easterly
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canyon lake, ca
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canyon lake, ca
Replied Jan 4 2018, 22:09

What did you find out about these areas?  I live in ca and own property here and in nv. I have looked all over tn and I actually have a multi family under contract and am looking at a second property both in Clarksville. 

Josh

User Stats

Votes
Renee Yarbrough
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 4 2019, 15:28

@Daniel Highsmith...I just put a contract on my first investment property near Austin Peay in Clarksville. I found what @John Montgomery said about a few blocks being the difference between 'B' and 'D' tenants to be very true. It was difficult for me to get an accurate feel from Google Street View, so spent lots of weekends driving around, looking at properties, and getting the lay of the land. 

Best chant ever, @Greg H.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Robins
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Jul 10 2019, 19:36

@Renee Yarbrough are you assigning it or flipping it your self?

User Stats

Votes
Renee Yarbrough
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 11 2019, 02:06

Hey, @Kyle Robins...I am planning to buy and hold. Not confident enough to flip, but will look to do that in the future.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 15 2019, 06:06

@Renee Yarbrough are you familiar with carpenter street? I’m a new investor in the area

User Stats

Votes
Renee Yarbrough
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 15 2019, 08:10

@Jack Barry...Funny you should ask, as I viewed a house on Carpenter Street this weekend. Are you interested in a particular house on Carpenter or that area in general?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 15 2019, 09:52

@Renee Yarbrough we may be thinking of the same house if it just popped up this weekend. 919. Would love to hear your thoughts on it

User Stats

Votes
Renee Yarbrough
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 15 2019, 17:46

@Jack Barry...sent you a message of my take on the Carpenter house.

User Stats

Votes
Kinjal Patel
  • Investor
  • Mt.Juliet, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mt.Juliet, TN
Replied Feb 5 2022, 05:03
Originally posted by @Josh Easterly:

What did you find out about these areas?  I live in ca and own property here and in nv. I have looked all over tn and I actually have a multi family under contract and am looking at a second property both in Clarksville. 

Josh

Hello 

Did you buy those two properties in Clarksville? If so, can you share your experience? I am looking at this area.

Thank you 

Kinjal