I would like to start Investing in Birmingham AL

I would like to start Investing in Birmingham AL

Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everyone. I am a new investor currently residing in Houston looking to purchase my first rental property in the Birmingham AL area. I chose this area for several factors while researching places to invest and as you all know there are tons of places in this country to choose from. I know there are already several forums on investing in BHAM but wanted a recent one that was my own. So any local PM's, Agents, Investors, Contractors, (I need a team) that can assist me would be greatly appreciated. I have never been to BHAM but do plan on going there to get this started.

My current strategy is to buy, rehab, and rent out. I would like to use cash so it would have to be a sub 35k property which includes the purchase price and repair cost. ( buy for 20k and spend 15k on repairs.) I would also need to use a Property Management company to oversee.  Hopefully this is possible. I know this would probably be a rough neighborhood and from what I have been reading on these forums so far there is tons of mixed advice as to what is a decent neighborhood or not. I would like to invest smart but without risk there is no reward.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

1Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Birmingham is pretty hot right now. With those numbers you are bordering on war zone neighborhoods. You'll want to do extra due diligence on every aspect, especially your management team. Not many great managers want to worry about getting shot for 10% of low rents and you should expect higher vacancy and turnover costs. What looks great on paper does not always translate into reality, especially when you are remote and have little true influence.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks for the advice.. You do make a good point. I'll be sure to locate something not so risky for the PM.

  • Jeremy GallowayPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    I would steer clear of anything in that range as well. You tapping into section 8 housing, will have issues with rentors not paying, or have higher than normal vacancy rates. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.