Seller is leaving a house full of junk!! And a decent truck....

8 Replies

Hi everyone!! I'm under contract to purchase a single family home for a fix and flip. To make a long story short, mom moved out of town, left the home to the son, son trashed it, left the house loaded with junk, and moved out. In the garage is a truck that's been sitting up at least a year. Decent truck, but not great. It's loaded with spiders, spider webs, and such. Despite the current condition of this truck, it's just nice enough to have a note that's not been paid, and a possible lien. In the contract, whatever is left after closing will be mine. I don't mind having cleaning up this mess, but what happens if money is owed on this truck? Will it too become my debt? Help me out guys and gals.....

I am not a lawyer, and do not play one on TV. In my opinion I would say that no, you are not on the hook for the loan on the truck. I would expect, however that you would not be able to register it, or drive it legally without registering it, so I would think it does not have a lot of value intel you straighten out what ever lean may be on the truck. I would contact the DMV and explain how the truck was left on the property and ask what you need to do to get a replacement title. With should the lien holder and you may be able to work something out with them.

You need to get the lean removed and they need to know where the truck as to be able to do anything. I would think you should be able to work out a deal.

Good luck.

nope, but you got to do little title work to make it yours-yours. After a while, unless they are leaving gold bars, you only care about trashing it out.

The truck belongs to the bank.  Chances are its upside down.  Call the bank and tell them where it's at, they'll come repo it. (fill the bed with junk first and it's like a free dumpster rental!!)

Originally posted by @Paul Bowers :

The truck belongs to the bank.  Chances are its upside down.  Call the bank and tell them where it's at, they'll come repo it. (fill the bed with junk first and it's like a free dumpster rental!!)

So just google "the bank" and you'll get the number right?

Originally posted by @Chris Purcell :
Originally posted by @Paul Bowers:

So just google "the bank" and you'll get the number right?

Or just call 1-800-THE-BANK.  In NY you can put the VIN into the DMV website and it will list who the lienholder is.  Not sure about other states.