Buying & Selling Real Estate
Account Closed
  • Aberdeen, NJ
Votes |
homeowners association issues

Account Closed
  • Aberdeen, NJ
Posted Aug 29 2017, 03:51
good morning BP, I have an issue related to my home owners association. on Friday the 18th I found that the piping that drains the water from the gutter is clogged and I had water overflowing and coming into my balcony, its been 11 days and they haven't even looked at it yet, do I have the right to NOT pay my HOA fees until this issue is fixed? -stephen

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 29 2017, 04:21

nope.

User Stats

Votes
Ray McDaniel
Pro Member
  • Logan, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Logan, OH
Replied Aug 29 2017, 04:36

I would definitely keep paying the dues. Try to keep bugging the HOA every day until they fix the issue. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Coluzzi
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Aug 29 2017, 06:10
Absolutely pay your HOA fees. Some associations are better then others so a verbal communication can often get things done. If you haven't got feedback after 11 days, it's time to go formal Formally notify the HOA management and/or board members IN WRITING of the persistent issue. Do it matter of factly and non-confrontational, highlight the date/time you noticed the problem, when you originally communicated it, and who you communicated it to on that date. State any action so far to date. More often then not, the PM of the HOA is just slow to react... the board needs to be aware of that. In my opinion, this is the right way to bring it to their attention.