Votes
Teyron Burden
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
apartment at a complex

Teyron Burden
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted Sep 8 2017, 08:03
just a general question about investing when you first start out..I see a good potential deal with an apartment at a complex..would renting out be a good idea and should I treat it like a multifamily? Say I rented it out how would the cash flow look. Thank you for any help on this matter

User Stats

Votes
Jieh Larson
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 8 2017, 08:28

@Teyron Burden, I think we'll need more details. Is this one building within a complex of similar buildings that you can purchase or just one unit (like a condo). 

I've got a property that is one building of a development that looks and is leased like an apartment complex. It's worked for me but I was confident in my numbers going into it. 

There's good information on this site that'll help walk you through figuring out your expenses. That'll be the biggest part of your analysis to determine if it'll cash flow and determine your cash on cash return. It'll be up to you to determine if the level of cash flow is acceptable as it varies from person to person. Look for similar properties for rent in the area to determine market rents. 

User Stats

Votes
Teyron Burden
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 8 2017, 09:22
@Jieh Larson I appreciate the feedback and it is just a condo within a complex
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jieh Larson
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 8 2017, 09:26

Careful of those HOA fees. Often that'll tip the scales to make it unprofitable.