Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
Is my potential agent taking to long to write an offer?

Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Posted Sep 12 2017, 16:59

What's appropriate here? 

First, I have not signed anything with any agent yet. Second, I flew to a different part of the country to look at properties in the chosen area because the cashflow is much better there than where I'm at in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Friday and Saturday I met with real estate agents on different days to look at rental properties in different areas. Both companies also do property management as well.

Call them Company A and Company B    

The properties I looked at with Company A are on the North Side of Town and they are properties I personally picked out in advance. I gave him the addresses, etc. and he made arrangements to to see the insides of the properties that we could go inside. Some of them we couldn't go inside because they are occupied and in essence I would end up having to make a curb offer. 

The properties I looked at with Agent "Slowski" at Company B are on the South Side of Town and they are properties I personally picked out in advance. I gave him the addresses, etc. and he made arrangements to see the insides of the properties that we could go inside. Some of them we couldn't go inside because they are occupied and in essence I would end up having to make a curb offer on these as well.

None of the properties I looked at with Company A are properties i liked after seeing them close up. 

Three of the properties I saw with company B I liked and I told agent "Slowski" this on Saturday. We discussed what amount the offer should be, strategy on how to handle a potential counter offer, etc. and then I told him on Saturday afternoon to go ahead and write up the offer for the amount we've agreed upon. Get it over to me, and I will sign it. He smiled and said OK.

Did not hear back from him the rest of the day Saturday........

Did not hear back from him on Sunday...........

Monday morning I call him and ask, when can I expect to get the offer from you so I can sign it......

He says, "I'll have it to you on Tuesday".  Needless to say I was surprised, but it was a Monday, beginning of the week, and I could tell he was in the middle of something by the tone of his voice, etc. etc. so I said OK.

I have emailed him twice today (Tuesday) about the offer and asked when can I expect to hear back and he still has not responded back.

It is now Tuesday ......5:00pm California time....Which means it is 8:00pm his time so I am assuming he will not be getting the offer over to me today. 

Before you say, find another agent at Agent "Slowski's" Company and work with him or her,....I already have.......but nothing seemed to change.  When I first contacted this company the receptionist put me through to "Agent Slowski" and we had a nice conversation ,...Afterwards I looked up his name on their website and found out that he is the Office Manager at this company....and he is a licensed Realtor. Over the last 3 weeks before flying out to their part of the country to look at properties he was either slow getting back to me, or he wouldn't get back to me at all. So I contacted a different person at their office.....someone who is on the SALES side and does not have collateral duties of Office Manager, etc. He in turn said to stick with "Slowski" but CC him in on all communications, which is what I've done.      

I have not signed anything with anyone at Company A or Company B , .....and I would guess that any Realtor will tell you that from an ethical standpoint I am supposed to "write the offer" with the agent that took me inside the property..........but when is enough, enough regarding waiting on this agent? 

Loading replies...