I just had my 1st offer accepted. What should be my next steps?

2 Replies

Good morning!

I am buying a duplex, I negotiated the price of a new roof in my deal. Also, both A/C units are new & were replaced in 2017. 

1 unit is occupied & under lease contract through the end of 2017, the other unit is empty.

I have viewed the empty unit & it was in good shape, just needs a little paint touched up. I will view the interior of the leased unit when we perform the inspection. 

I am planning to replace the carpet in the empty unit with tile throughout as my 1st attempt to tenant proof the unit.

I have my financing in place as a 30 yr fixed loan requiring either 20% or 25% down (Non owner occupied). The Mtg company said I would not be able to do a deed transfer into an LLC. I have my Ins quote with business liability coverage of 300k per occurrence & 600k annual business liability coverage. Is that good enough or should I open an LLC & try to do the deed transfer & run the risk of the MTG being called to be paid in full?

I am going to self manage & I have a couple other quick questions :

I would like to set up for my tenants to only be able to pay their rent online, which website do you recommend for easy of use, efficiency for tax reporting & is the best for the cost of use? 

Is there somewhere I can get a good template for a solid lease that I can modify without breaking the bank? My brother in law is an Attorney so I can have him review afterwards. 

Any & all other information that you think would be helpful is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Brad Pierce

The FAR lease is quite thorough. I use that and add a couple of addendums. Make sure you know Florida landlord-tenant statutes. Part II is residential. The statute is Chapter 83. Print them out, learn them, and follow them. 

As to online payments, I am not set up for that yet. I just sent my tenants banking info so they can set up direct payment from their bank each month. 

Great info, thank you John. I am looking over the FAR Lease now. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here