Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Abernathy
  • Jacksonville Beach, FL
Votes |
Looking for mentor/advice: Tax Deed Auction in Florida

Michael Abernathy
  • Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posted Oct 9 2017, 07:54

I am going to take part in this months tax deed sale.

I've reviewed the results from the last 6 months and the results are all over the place. I see people paying around Zillow estimates (Bad idea in my opinion), I see investors purchasing right around the ARV, but... I also see some great deals that go for 30-50% of the ARV.

I've spent the last few months educating myself on the laws, rules, and processes of tax deed sales and feel like I know the system pretty well.  With that being said.... Are their any investors locally that would like to sit down and chat. 

Here's how I understand the process:

1. Someone does not pay their property taxes
  2. After a year the county auctions off a tax lien for the back taxes to the person willing to take the lowest rate of return.  In Florida the bidding starts at 18%
  3. After two years if the taxes are not paid the lien holder can file for foreclosure on the property.
  4. At the auction the starting bid is for the taxes owed on the property.

Of course there is a lot of research in dealing with these types of auctions.  There are some liens that survive the tax deed auction.

1. Government/IRS
  2. City/County (nuisances, etc..)

You need to physically drive the property.  Google maps might show you a house that burned down a year ago.

Title chain is also very important.  The county MUST notify any lien holder of the upcoming auction.  

You are also going to have to quite the title which takes time and money.

Thanks,

Mike

Loading replies...