Real estate lawyer in state our out-of-state?

3 Replies

My husband and I are looking to open an LLC to transfer our first and future rental properties under. I have 2 questions for my fellow BPers:

1. We are based in California, and are buying out-of-state in Utah. Is it better to work with a real estate lawyer in our home state, or in the state where our rentals are located?
  2. Based on the first answer, does anyone have a real estate lawyer they can recommend? 

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by @Jessica Chow :

My husband and I are looking to open an LLC to transfer our first and future rental properties under. I have 2 questions for my fellow BPers:

1. We are based in California, and are buying out-of-state in Utah. Is it better to work with a real estate lawyer in our home state, or in the state where our rentals are located?
  2. Based on the first answer, does anyone have a real estate lawyer they can recommend? 

Thanks in advance!

It depends what you need a real estate attorney for.

Forming your company, preparing Operating Agreement, etc. ... you can hire CA counsel.

Dealing with local law, leases, tenants, legal issues and evictions ... need UT counsel.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here