Help! I've Been Bested by Paying the Buyer's Closing Costs...

6 Replies

Hello BP!

My house finally went under contract yesterday after lowering the price down $30,000 and having it sit on the market for over two months.  We agreed that I (the seller) would pay $5,000 of the buyer's closing costs.  However I just found out through my wife (who works at the same company he is going to), that the buyer is actually getting his closing costs covered by his new employer.  So I feel like I've been had and the buyer is going to just pocket that $5,000 cash, while I'm breaking even on my house.

The exact wording in the Purchase Agreement is “Seller to pay $5,000 of Buyer’s cost to close, to be used at the buyer’s discretion” and we just went under contract yesterday.  Is there anything I can or should do about this?  Or is it too late and better to just accept it as a lesson learned and declare him the better man...?

In the end , you basically agreed to lower your price by $5000 , and regardless of what happens on his end that’s still happening . It may feel like you were taken , but the price is the the same regardless of how it is worded and arranged . My attitude weather buying or selling always is : I don’t care what you did or paid or are going to have to do or pay for something , all I care about is what I’m paying or getting paid . There are just too many stories people have to worry about their side of things .

I totally agree with J. Harvey.

You agreed to the concession to reach your bottom line of selling that property. I don’t think you can fault the guy for reaching his bottom line of keeping his OOP down.

Had your wife not been privy to that information you probably still wouldn’t know and likely be very happy to be at your current stage in the deal.

I think the other side won. The CL will show closing costs...and you agreed to pay them. Or it is possible they FORGOT to mention this and will refund it:)

His employment contract, and where ever else he gets money for a down payment or closing costs isn't really any of your business. The only thing that is your business is your contract between him and you. If he was gifted the money for the down payment from his parents, would that mean he should have played you more money for the house?

Exactly what @Russell Brazil said. 

His employment contract, compensation from his employer, and sources of cash to close are completely irrelevant to your contract.

This was a business deal. Where and how a buyer or seller gets their money is their business and the banks. There was nothing shady here just both parties doing what is in their best interest. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide