Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Laticia Braxton
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Votes |
Trying to help a friend with a headache in Nevada...

Laticia Braxton
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Posted Oct 16 2017, 13:14

I have a close friend who recently inherited a property in Nevada about two hours from Las Vegas. She really needs to sell it because she is not interested in holding the property while living in Maryland. She is also unable to take time off from work and go to Nevada. She has a signed listing agreement with an agent in the area and the house has been listed since July with no activity. She hasn't personally seen the house in years, but the agent recently told her there is major roof damage that must be repaired. There was no report of a major storm to her knowledge, so the roof damage is a mystery at this point but she has a contractor going out this week to assess damage. The agent also told her that he may personally help her pay for roof repairs (red flag #1). According to a neighbor, there hasn't been a for sale sign posted on the property in months (red flag #2). When she questioned the agent the about the missing sign other day, he told her there was a sign there previously but he had to remove it because the HOA said it was too big and was in violation. It has been over two months now...not sure about Nevada, but here in Maryland it take two days tops to get a sign in a yard.

I am putting this out here with the hope that my fellow BP friends can offer some advice.  It appears to be a nice house from the pictures on Zillow (5 BD/4BA , 3100 s.f.).  My friend is now losing sleep over this matter.  Her family member didn't leave her anything other than the house and she has approximately two months of mortgage payments until she is forced to make a difficult decision.  At this point, she does not feel she can trust this agent and she is somewhat handcuffed by her listing agreement.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Loading replies...