Buy and Holds in Montgomery or Tuscaloosa Alabama

7 Replies

We currently own single family home rental properties in both Stockton, California and Cleveland area Ohio.  We are looking at Montgomery or Tuscaloosa, Alabama as the property taxes look low as well as the cost of real estate.  Does anyone have experience in these areas?  What areas should I stay away from?   

I'm in the Tuscaloosa area. Buy and holding with SFRs needs to be close to campus. Multi units are doing well here now. A lot of development.
I'm looking for a good multi but price points haven't been right yet.
I just purchased a sfr a month ago. It is 2 miles from campus it's a 5 bedroom 3 bath.
I was all in around 154k. I pull in 2,250 in rent. Lease by bedroom.

If you are flipping I would recommend other areas of Tuscaloosa

Let me know what your criteria is. I have 6 sfr under contract.

Oh stay away from west end. Most properties on the west side of highway 69 are D class areas.

Thanks very much for the information Dylan!

I invest in Montgomery. I was born and raised in Montgomery and currently a realtor there also. East Montgomery is where the high rent is. A lot in Deer Creek. Montgomery is a great place invest. Four large colleges and two large military bases. Let me know if you decide to go with Montgomery. It is a large city and if you go three blocks down the road it can be completely different.

Thank you Sy for the information and we will defiantly keep you in mind if we decide to invest there. Do you also handle your own property management or is their a third party PM that you would recommend?

Dylan I would be interested in some property I like what I see in Montgomery but I don’t know my way around.

I was born and raised in Montgomery and am also currently a Realtor here and I will back up Sy and say it’s a great market to invest in and is currently seeing a LOT of out-of-state investors. If I can be of any assistance to anyone I’d love to help out. Best of luck with your endeavors and may success attend your efforts!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.