Votes
Katie Larson
  • Wilson, NC
Votes |
Getting a Loan on Total Loss Home

Katie Larson
  • Wilson, NC
Posted Oct 25 2017, 22:00

First of all, I’m new to this! I am interested in purchasing a property that was deemed a total loss by insurance due to a fire. The purchase price is fairly inexpensive, but I’m wondering how I would get financing for reconstruction of a home that is a total loss. I can’t imagine that a bank would provide a loan for that. Or am I wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Oct 25 2017, 23:24
Originally posted by @Katie Larson:

First of all, I’m new to this! I am interested in purchasing a property that was deemed a total loss by insurance due to a fire. The purchase price is fairly inexpensive, but I’m wondering how I would get financing for reconstruction of a home that is a total loss. I can’t imagine that a bank would provide a loan for that. Or am I wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Hi Katie,

I'm waiting for these to start crossing my desk due to the Santa Rosa / NorCal fires here in the greater Bay Area.

For a 2-4 unit that you will owner occupy, FHA 203k is doable as a renovation loan.

Fora 1 unit, FNMA HomeStyle is doable as a renovation loan.

Both are predicated on NOT being "new construction," which technically it isn't if there's remnants of an old foundation or chimney or something. 

Either way, the sellers need to understand that closing will be a little slower since reno mortgages have far more moving parts. 

But, that's how it's doable. 

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Katie Larson
  • Wilson, NC
Votes |
  • Wilson, NC
Replied Oct 26 2017, 07:42

That’s really helpful. Thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Rich
  • Lender
  • Marlton, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Marlton, NJ
Replied Nov 22 2017, 16:54

Hi @Katie Larson 

As Chris mentioned both the FHA 203K or Fannie Mae HomeStyle would be viable options for you when trying to secure financing for a home that is need of any sort of renovations. The biggest recommendation I have for you is to make sure you are working with a loan officer who is proficient in renovation mortgages. You do not want a novice handling this transaction for you.