Beginning my Career in Real Estate, but I have many questions

3 Replies

I am brand new to real estate. I was advised to start an LLC, open a business bank account, and then seek out investors. What do I need to do to establish a relationship with an investor, and what questions do I need to ask to get my new business off the ground?

I'm a real estate investor for nearly 40 years, and I have yet to place my rental properties into an LLC or use a business account.

The idea of an LLC is to mitigate your liabilities, and this could be taken care of with adequate insurance. A personal checking account cost less fee wise than a business account. For instance, I have more than one personal checking account at a major bank, and it's fee free due to the banking relationship. One of them is for my rentals. Also I have a business checking with another major bank, for another business I have which I'm paying $15.00/month in fees.

Also, online transfer of funds between personal checking is fee free. It may not be so between a personal account and a business account. For my rentals, I often have to shift funds between personal and business when funds run short.

Getting a mortgage via an LLC is more costly, if you can get it, and you have personally guaranty anyway. I had an LLC for a business , new, with no history and I have to guaranty everything. Getting insurance is a lot more complex. Normally if people sue you, they sue the LLC and you anyway. I know a business owner who use an S Corp, to shield his liability, bought liability insurance, and his insurance agent didn't know enough to add an endorsement including him. Net result was he was sued for $2 million, and the S Corp and him was sued, and he was not personally covered. They told him to get a lawyer for himself, as the insurance company attorney is for the S Corp. He thought the S Corp shielded him, and it did not. He apparently didn't use a knowledgeable insurance agent.

So, for your first rental, keep things simple, make sure you use a good insurance agent, and you should be OK.

Most investors will feel a lot more easy if you have some deals under your belt already. I’d try doing a few yourself before you seek investors. Just by doing that, you’ll likely answer all these questions yourself throughout the process

@Lisa D. Hamblin , There are no blanket, one-size-fits-all answers. It depends heavily on your starting point, and everyone starts at a different point. Here are a couple things to help you get started.

Plan on attending the next local meetup, it's Nov 13th. You'll find a lot of local people there willing to help. Details are at the link. https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/49...

Give me a call, (Not Monday) and we can have a brief discussion about where you are starting, and what your goals are. Then I can give you a much better answer about what your next steps are.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.