Realator Not in Contact

11 Replies

So I am looking to put an offer on a 4 plex.  First deal.  Don't have a realtor.  I emailed a realtor last night, waited 3 hours then called the office and left a message for ANY realtor to get back intouch as I need to look at a property and potentially put an offer on it to lock it up with contingency.  I still have not heard from the realtor. Yes it is Halloween. But am I being overly critical or should I look for a more responsive agency?

Appreciate any advice.

Time is money. Find a new realtor/agent/agency ASAP. They clearly don't value you as a potential client to even respond to an inquiry. Imagine what would happen if you were in the middle of securing a deal? You can only make a first impression once, and their impression is not a good one.

@John Schornberg   Expecting instant response is unrealistic, especially to a new buyer an agent is not familiar with.  Will really great agents respond that fast, sure sometimes.  One instance is certainly not enough to judge responsiveness. 

Expecting an immediate response from someone you have no relationship with is a completely unrealistic expectation for any business.

Did you mention the words, "lock it up with contingency" in your message?

To a realtor that sounds like a lot of paperwork, with little chance of getting paid.

My advice is to build a relationship with an agent, or a couple agents if you can. A good one will work fast for clients they trust.

Any realtor that wants business will respond promptly, even on Halloween.

@John Schornberg

Your first mistake is emailing. You should have picked up the phone and called. Most agents don't read their email right away. And if they don't know you it's likely to get buried in all the spam they receive everyday.

Calling the office looking for a random agent to call you is also a mistake. Agents are independent contractors. Unless you're calling looking for someone by name you're going to get no response or some agent hanging around the office because they don't have any business.

If you need a referral for an investor friendly agent in your area just post that request on BP and I'm sure you'll get some responses.

You can also just call the selling agent directly and have them represent both you and the buyer. However They’ll want to see a prequalification letter before taking your offer to the seller. 

Be honest... based upon your outreach, would you be in a hurry to call/email you back? First impression is very needy client.

@John Schornberg Fact is, guys with no track who do what you did are a dime a dozen in this business. If you are in a huge rush to see particular property, just contact the listing agent.  

In the meantime if I were you I would take the time to develop a relationship with an agent so that the next time you need someone in a pinch to show you a property they can make it happen. 

Suggest you stop at an office talk to a real person.  BTW: They are called "realtors trade mark" not Realators

I'll echo everyone else. If I am currently in the middle of working with an established client, I am not dropping them to go running off and trying to pick up a new client. My guess is that the agent was working with someone at the time (or handling something for an existing client). Yes real estate moves fast, but not that fast. An agent that blows off their duty to existing clients is the same one that will be blowing you off later chasing a new shiny object.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.