Some investors make me laugh

50 Replies

My wife and I just listed the last of our sfr’s in Gwinnett County. It’s in a very up and coming neighborhood with a new hospital less than a mile away etc. we listed it below the “Zillow” estated 176k for 169,900.
We’ve had plenty of interest, but haven’t accepted anything as of now. My real estate agent says you have an offer at 155 and they want this and that and this... “cash buyer”. I told him not even to respond with this lowball crap.
We’ve had full price offers already, but will wait until tomorrow mornings showing to ask for highest and best.
I’m not a flipper, but is this how it goes with investors looking to buy an investment property? I guess people will just throw junk out there hoping it will stick.
Ye, I do understand that this is what most of us do, lowball, but that’s an embarrassing offer even though the percentage isn’t that far off.

@Justen Ashcraft don’t take it personally, we are all out here just trying to keep the most cash in our own pocket and make an honest living for our families. I make tons of offers and am pretty much always embarrassed, but the intention is certainly not to offend!

A $155k cash offer on a newly listed $169k asking price is not that low ball to me. He may assume your bottom line is $160-165 and they will end up there. I had a house listed at $285k and was offer $250k, with his reasonings. I countered back and he disappeared. I never felt insulted, I found a buyer shortly after and al went well.

If you have full price offers, and waiting on another showing, you don't need to worry about that lower offer, however to me that is far from an insulting low ball offer... something like $130k would be a lowball offer.

I agree with @Brian Pulaski for an all cash offer that's pretty good. as an agent I would've advised my client that your asking 169k and 155k is slightly low but I would've had him submit at 155k and hope for a counter offer at 160k to 162k.

In my opinion a cash offer isn’t any better than financing. It will appraise without issue, and they weren’t going to close any sooner than our full price conventional mortgage offer.

A 155k cash offer on a 169k listing is very strong, why didn't you come back with a counter? 

Also for the future, Zestimates are probably the worst way you could price a property, at least in my market it is extremely inaccurate. 

As I mentioned, a cash offer is no better than a bank financed offer in our situation.

Hell yeah buddy that's a good CASH offer. I always lowball that's the only way to get deals what are you talking about. If I'm putting up cash I woulda offered you 140k or less because it's cash !

In your case, a cash offer may not make a big difference, but to a motivated seller who wants to sell their home quick and doesn’t want to deal with the risk of a buyer not being able to obtain financing, this could be seen as a very strong offer. There are many investors that make low cash offers like this in hopes that a seller will be motivated enough to accept.

Sometimes I think people actually believe the buyer is walking in with a briefcase of cash :(. If that’s what some of you think, please do some research .

Originally posted by @Justen Ashcraft :

In my opinion a cash offer isn’t any better than financing. It will appraise without issue, and they weren’t going to close any sooner than our full price conventional mortgage offer.

Cash talks especially when you have had deals fall through after 2 months, at the last moment because financing which was agreed to by the bank

Sometimes I think people actually believe the buyer is walking in with a briefcase of cash :(. If that’s what some of you think, please do some research .

I’ve actually been to closing where there was all actual cash more than once 

@Justen Ashcraft Even if closing times are identical and there is zero chance of an appraisal issue, a cash offer is still better.  

Financing can blow up for any number of reasons - the buyer does something that changes their DTI before closing like buying a car. They do something to change their credit score, like falling behind on a bill. The buyer loses his job. Or he gets very sick and has a temporary loss of income. Buyer does something stupid and gets arrested or imprisoned - the list is nearly endless.

Any and indeed ALL of these things will cause a buyer to lose financing and assuming that their offer includes a financing contingency, their offer will fail.

Any time there is a choice between an offer with a financing contingency and one without one, the latter is stronger offer, all else being equal.

In order to know whether an offer is insulting, you need to know two things.

1. What are the comps?  I mean the legit comps.  Solds, not those currently on the market.  

2. What is the average sale to list price percentage?

If the average property sells at 99% of list, then an offer (assuming yours is properly priced) of 85% is a lowball.  But if the average home in your particular market is selling at 90% of asking, an offer of 85% may actually be in the ball park.

Either way, your agent should engage the buyer with a counter offer and should be negotiating on your behalf.

Taking a $10k hit versus a couple grand in holding costs is a big spread. We’ve sold some things in the past and most come with a prequel letter qualifying for more than our asking price.
Coming with a lowball offer is one thing, coming with a low ball offer and asking for multiple(expensive) concessions is another.

out of curiosity... have a link to your listing?

Its not the "briefcase of cash" that makes a cash offer strong, its the flexibility and security the offer provides not having the whole deal contingent on a loan. Either way, the offer was a great starting point for a counter offer on your end to open the negotiations, which is the point of an offer. Just my 2c

If ALL things are equal, I agree a cash offer is better. It’s also better if they can close faster.
In my area home values are rising rapidly. A lot, greater than 50%, of the properties are going under contract with multiple offers over asking on the second or third day.
This is why I feel lowballed with their offer.
I doubt that they know that I know the game, and that’s fine. It just makes me laugh and want to rant.

We countered at 165 and they came back with 160 plus concessions as their final. I laughed.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6945-White-Walnut-Way-Braselton-GA-30517/83343927_zpid/?view=public

I made that offer to my attorney on the closing of my current house. He said just wire him the money... 

Also financing falls thru ALL the time.

If the cash offer isn't a quick close, negotiate that in. If they want work done, negotiate that out. This is business, seems you took it personal!

It sounds like your vision of the offer/deal is much different than everyone else here. No worries. Your in a hot market, you can hold out for more money and wait out financing if need be, good deal!

Hope you sell!  Just make your counter offers and move on though, people are just going to offer whatever and if it is truly worth 169 then it will sell at 169 and who cares what is being offered.

I guess I did take it personally. Foolish mistake. I’ll brush it off. Likely because my wife and I were living there when we were married. Sentimental attachment that I need to **** down.
Thanks for letting me vent.

@Justen Ashcraft:

Yes, that’s how it goes with this investor. I embarrass myself almost daily. Despite the colloquial expectation, I have not yet died of it.

Sure, it may seem insulting to receive lowballs. But I consider that part of doing business. I’ve been on both ends. “Sometimes you are the bat, sometimes you are the ball.” Or getting lowballed.

You say you know the game, yet you are so offended as to laugh at someone for what you described. I practically feel offended by that, since you are so educated in the game.

This forum is about sharing knowledge. A beginning investor reading your post may easily get discouraged.

One thing I keep seeing repeated as advice on this site is that “you make money when you buy.” I agree.

Depending on the specifics of a given market at a given time, my lowballs may have been as much as 40% below listing - and accepted. Specifically, I bought duplexes in a place that, at that time, for some reason, only had SFRs selling. I saw those sitting on the market for close to a year - would you not make a lowball offer?

Maybe that’s not your market - right now. Good for you.

I once actually had sellers tell me that they were insulted when I came back with a still-lower offer after an inspection (I had that contingency in the contract,) having first accepted my offer, which was already lower than their asking, as if I were already getting an amazing bargain. I had to explain that their listing agent’s describing the properties (it was a package) as “turnkey” - specifically telling me that there was no deferred maintenance when I asked - was in stark contrast to reality: it could be readily seen from the street that some needed new roofs, to start with. The fact that I was in another state may have played a role in trying to play me. (I took it out on the listing agent separately - after negotiating concessions.) I know that this is not your case, but still - I was told I actually insulted someone.

I’ve had my (non lowball, yet considerably lower than the asking price) cash offers accepted over other (allegedly-) higher financing offers, even if mine were slightly lower than those.

I am always happy to negotiate with anyone interested enough to make even a lowball offer when there are no other offers. (Again not your case.) I’m happy for you that you have other offers, genuinely.

It’s business. Don’t ever take or make it personal, unless someone defrauds you.

@Justen Ashcraft the example earlier, the $250k offer on a $285k asking price was the house that me and my wife bought as BF and GF, got married there, and had both of our children there. Very sentimental house (eerie feeling the last day I walked it emptied out) but it's all business.

Sounds like at the end of the day you will get your money and that guy will move on to another deal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here