Delayed financing, how to not get caught with your pants down?

1 Reply

In case you don't know what delayed financing is, here are a few links:

https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/delayed-financin...

https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b2...

I'm about to have enough HELOC buying power to buy 2-4 units that I'm interested in "cash". Delayed financing allows HELOCs to be used, you just have to pay them off first after you refinance. (correct me anywhere I'm wrong!).

As I understand it, delayed financing will reimburse a buyer the entire purchase price AND closing costs OR 70% of the appraised value (75% for SFR), whichever is less. It's the whichever is less that scares me.

I see HELOCs as cheap hard money.  The interest rates are low, they're 10 years interest only, but I don't want to get stuck paying them for more than a few months.  Let's say I find a duplex that's listed for $65,000, and I get it with a cash offer for $55,000.  If it appraises for $70,000, I can only get $49,000 back plus closing costs.  Getting a duplex for 6k is a great deal, but will really slow down or even prevent any momentum.

Is there anyway I can figure out how a bank is going to appraise a property?  I talked to a particular lender, they do a real, full blown appraisal.  I know I can pay for one up front, but the bank won't use mine (my ~$500 is sort of lost), and the new appraisal may come back way different (higher or lower).  I don't see anyway to mitigate or lessen this risk.  

The best I can come up with is:

1. Get the best deal I can, ensuring I'm well below the appraised value.  I'm using the BP buy and hold caluculator ensuring these still cash flow with 100% financing, 10% property management, 10% vacancy, 10% repairs, and 5% capex.
  2. Have more than enough cash on hand, in case the appraisal is rough, and I want to pay off my HELOC asap.
  3. Potentially have a private lender on hand that offers a mortgage that will still cash flow.  I haven't explored this option much.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated!

@Pat Jackson

While you occasionally find a deal with pent-up equity -  we bought a triplex earlier this year for $75K which appraised at $145K on day one - the more reliable approach is to find a property that is tired and mismanaged; buy it shrewdly; then improve the business and force equity.  For a quick refinance, you would look for the ones which require predominately cosmetic improvement and better management.   

On the other end of the spectrum, you find the {near}vacant building, buy it for nearly nothing, and give it a deep retrofit (energy efficiency improvements, layout improvements, update core systems, and refinish throughout).   This approach is capital intensive, but you can end-up with a property worth far more than your capital injection.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here