Am I stuck in my duplex for another 2 years???

7 Replies

So, I’ve been living in my duplex for a whole year now. When I bought the house, I used FHA 3.5% down requiring that I live in it for at least 1 year. I also completed a down payment assistance program that granted me $6,000 but required that I lived in the residence for at least 3 years otherwise I’d have to repay 1/3 of the grant. I thought it was a great idea considering it was like “free money” but now I feel like I’m ready to more properties and can do so because I have to live in this one for another 2 years! Am I really stuck until the 3 years are up or are there other options? If so what can I do?

@Jonathan Perez , paying back $2k gets you out of "prison", now. Cheers...

[You still get to legally keep 2/3 of your winnings!]

Do you have any equity in your house now or cash on hand?

I'm assuming so since you said you're ready to buy more properties.

If that's the case then just do what @Brent Coombs suggested and pay the $2k and be done with it.

This way you can get started on your journey of buying more deals instead of sitting on the sidelines.

@Brent Coombs Well it’s actually 1/3 less a year. So 6,000-2000= $4,000 I’d owe. Same point though, I guess. If I just pay it, I’d be free to go. That’s one option

Brian Garrett I’m going to look into the equity thing

As @Matthew Paul suggests, can you just buy another property that is strictly an investment?  Yes, I agree you might not be able to get as favorable financing since it wouldn't be owner occupied but you just factor that into your calculation.  The question really becomes, do you HAVE to move or can you just stick it out for another 2 years.

@Jonathan Perez I purchased my first SFH with this same assistance program in Columbia.

I moved out before the term was up, because the job was a much better ROI. If you have to pay back $4,000 in order to earn another $10,000, then is it worth it??

I did learn that I did not have to pay back the assistance money in a lump sum (unless house is sold).  It was over a 5 year period.  So now you are talking $4k at ~ 5% for 5 years.  Now is it worth it to move out and on to the next??

Updated 5 months ago

*moved for a new job

@Andrew R. Lucas that’s good stuff right there Andrew, I was thinking exactly that only wasn’t considering the fact that they may take payments rather than demand a lumpsome! If that’s the case, then I’ll fix this side up real quick, get it rented and dip up outta here! Get a raise on my ROI and I’ll be alright! Ima call tomorrow and find out.

I’m just ready to start scaling UPwards but with my options as far as financing goes I would NEED TO be able to move OUT and use the FHA (or Conventional whatever works) loan at 3-3.5% DOWN “*owner occupied* for at least 1 year*” thing on the next one.

Other option was to just stick it out and use the 2 year timeframe to learn how to wholesale, maybe rehab, and just cultivate myself to become a “real estate hustler” as Brandon calls it, since the goal IS to leave the day job one day and become a full time investor!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here