How did you use your personal unsecured line of credit?

4 Replies

Would anyone be willing to share their story on how you used your personal unsecured loc? The numbers etc.

I am interested in going this route versus a HML and wanted to see how its worked out for others.

@Rigo V. - I use my LOC multiple ways. I have used it to buy land that will then be built on; I have used it to buy properties for cash; I have used it to fund short term renovations as well. What I have avoided using it for is as a fix for long term financing.

@Andrew Kerr I assume you purchase and than refi? 

I was thinking instead of a HML for 100k to just use my unsecured line for that. I think in the long term it s should be cheaper.

@Rigo V. - Yes I sell or refi to get my cash back that I took my from LOC.

@Rigo V. Good advice from @Andrew Kerr . You could also consider using your LOC for the equity needed in a deal and then applying leverage through financing from a HML or bank. While the rates will be higher, the return on your cash should be greater as well. Your risk tolerance should help dictate whether or not you leverage your funds.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.